New to TFP, new pool, it's all new to me!

Jun 6, 2018
Parkton NC
First off, I've been searching this site for a week now, lots of good information and knowledge, I'm looking forward to getting my pool perfect using this forum.

I just put up a Coleman 22x52, i have filled it with city water, says it's about 10,400gallons. I've added a Hayward skimmer, and the factory pump didn't work right out of the box. So it sat for three days, without filtering or circulation. I had already ordered an intex 2800gph sand filter/pump, and i got that installed Friday. They walls were starting to feel slimey, i assume that is algae forming. I bought one of the Clorox tabs and put it in the skimmer for now. And the pool bottom and liner now feel good again, no slime.
I ordered the Taylor 2006c kit, but i will not have that till next Thursday. Is there anything i should be doing in the meantime, since i do not know what my levels are? I am running the pump for 8hours at night.
Thank you for any advice in advance!
Brian

Last edited:
Well, for starters, you need to get some CYA/stabilizer in the water to protect your chlorine from sunlight destruction.
If you can get to a wal-mart, they usually sell it there.
You'll need to add 1/2 a jug of bleach each evening while you begin to understand the principles of TFP and put them to use. Walmart also usually sells a small 2-way drop kit for pH and total chlorine. Tap water does not contain CYA so you definitely will need to start there.

I recommend you get either the 2-way drop kit or even the 6-way drop kit they sell for around $20, Thursday is several days away....

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I suggest you first add liquid chlorine. Use PoolMath to get to 3 ppm.

You need a CYA of 30 ppm to start. Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process or just leave it alone, your choice. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

If you are at Walmart or Home Depot getting the LC and CYA, buy a drop test for Chlorine and pH.

Then test your pH when you get home. If in the 7's, great. If not, let us know.

Keep 3 ppm of FC in the water. When you get your Taylor kit, run all the tests and post them up.

Take care.

Well, for starters, you need to get some CYA/stabilizer in the water to protect your chlorine from sunlight destruction.
If you can get to a wal-mart, they usually sell it there.
You'll need to add 1/2 a jug of bleach each evening while you begin to understand the principles of TFP and put them to use. Walmart also usually sells a small 2-way drop kit for pH and total chlorine. Tap water does not contain CYA so you definitely will need to start there.

I recommend you get either the 2-way drop kit or even the 6-way drop kit they sell for around $20, Thursday is several days away....

Thank you for the reply, should i remove the Clorox tab, if I'm adding bleach from the bottle instead?

One tab will not be a big deal.

In the future do not add any chemical at the skimmer. If you use tablets in the future (normally only for vacations) you need to put them in a floating dispenser.

Take care.

Not sure if I'm doing this right.
Ph 7
TA 40
I got the test kit early as i am on vac and had it sent to work. I went and got it.
Sunday night i added half gallon of bleach, as mentioned, but last night i didn't get home till midnight and it was raining, so i didn't. When i test for FC it doesn't change to pink, I'm assuming because there isn't any there.
Also cya, i understand how you say to add it with a sock, but what product am i looking for at the store? A friend gave me a lot of Clorox product, is the cyanuric acid what i want to add in a sock?

Should i worry about my ph right now, it is saying to add some soda ash, but with ought FC does that change that?

Don’t worry about your PH right now... it’s in the 7s so it is ok. You can look for “stabilizer.” Check the label to make sure it is cyanuric acid (CYA) nothing fancy added.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get that sock with CYA into the pool, you can go ahead and add chlorine as if CYA was already dissolved. It takes a while to dissolve, but you can speed it up by squeezing every now and then.

I am the impatient sort so I get in and swim around with it! Make sure you hang in front of return, or with pump on, you can suspend sock in skimmer as long as it doesn’t stop water flow. Make sure it does not just sit against side of the pool or on the bottom.

Don’t worry about your PH right now... it’s in the 7s so it is ok. You can look for “stabilizer.” Check the label to make sure it is cyanuric acid (CYA) nothing fancy added.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get that sock with CYA into the pool, you can go ahead and add chlorine as if CYA was already dissolved. It takes a while to dissolve, but you can speed it up by squeezing every now and then.

I am the impatient sort so I get in and swim around with it! Make sure you hang in front of return, or with pump on, you can suspend sock in skimmer as long as it doesn’t stop water flow. Make sure it does not just sit against side of the pool or on the bottom.

I appreciate the reply. I updated my previous post, i have some Clorox chlorine stabilizer, says it is 100% Cyanuric acid so i will add that in a sock, I am going to suspend it through the hole in my skimmer lid, so it does not obstruct flow.
How do i know how much chlorine to add, with to start? I have bought a couple of the walmart brand bleach bottles.
Also it's been raining on and off today, no sun, does it matter doing this today?

Check out Pool Math at the top of the page. You enter your pool’s parameters, your current numbers and your target, and it calculates what you need to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check out Pool Math at the top of the page. You enter your pool’s parameters, your current numbers and your target, and it calculates what you need to add.

Ok, i was kinda going by that i had downloaded the app. It asks for CYA, do i just go with the 0 since there shouldn't be any yet?

27056c604bf6df4c7b5f856f1c1ab266.png
i get this

Ah, the app! Even better!

You can put in the CYA figure that you aimed for when you put sock in. Most start out planning for 30 CYA.

No worries... I’ve been TFP for two years and a lurker before that, and I still refer to Pool School all the time!

By the way, Pool School is a free e-book available on either iBooks or Google Play!

pH of 7 is fine. If you test your TA at 40 again, I would suggest adding some baking soda to bring it to 60 or 70.

Ok so I'm still trying to get my cya up to 30, it's getting there because the water is starting to get a little cloudy but just not there yet. In the meantime, I'm trying to keep the FC at 5, in a 24 hour window when i recheck, it's almost like clockwork it will be at around 1.4 and have me add a half gallon, reading through pool school a few times, it looks like this would be about the right loss of FC through sunlight? Especially since my CYA level isn't quite up to where it should be.
I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Water is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.