New to TFP, Need Help Bad!

Ok, I started the SLAM process last night. Brushed the pool again then added 4 gallons of 10% chlorine (started with 6ppm FC yesterday evening).

Results at 7am today:
TA: 100
pH: 7.4
FC: 14.0
CC: 0.5
CYA: ~35
Hardness: 180

Added 1 gallon of 10% chlorine to bring back to 16-17ppm.

Test results at 1:30pm
FC: 13.5ppm
CC: 0.5

As mentioned in previous post, used a toothbrush to get between trim holding liner down by steps and discovered a bastardly trove of green algae. Appreciate everyone’s help thus afar!

Reactions: Newdude
I'll walk the line between offending you and helping you.......I hope it is the latter

Get it fixed in your mind that the SLAM works. Also accept that algae does not exist in the presence of ADEQUATE chlorine.

There are no special pools nor any special algae and especially, no special magic bullets from the pool store!

So, an obvious takeaway from all that is that your chlorine has been INADEQUATE because algae grows in your pool.

Finish the SLAM according to the article in Pool School, then bring your parameters to maintenance levels and, given regular brushing, regular vacuuming and adequate pump run time, the algae will not return. Somewhere in the SLAM and maintenance process, you are having some "operator error".......there really is no other answer.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Here’s my test results throughout the day and what I did. I mentioned before, but @PoolStored really helped out - brushed in between trim holding liner down by steps and removed a lot of algae. Also for context, my pool has direct sunlight from ~8:00am until ~5:30pm.

Thank you all again, appreciate you taking time to help a stranger!

7:00am
FC: 14.0, CC: 0.5
Added 1 gallon 10%
Brushed pool

1:30pm
FC: 13.5, CC: 0.5
Added 1 gallon 10%

4:30pm
FC: 14.0, CC: 0.5
Added 1 gallon 10%
Brushed pool

6:30pm
Vacuumed pool

8:30pm
FC: 16.0, CC: 0.5
Added 1/2 gallon 10%

I also ran robot vac a few cycles throughout the day.

I’m on day 3 of SLAM and need some advice. Tested throughout yesterday and it’s losing less chlorine (results below), which is good, but this morning there was a small patch of visible algae in shallow end. When I brushed the floor, “poofs” of what I assume is algae came up with every pass. How is this possible when FC has been at SLAM for over 48 hours and I’m still getting readings of 0-0.5 CC?

I also had FC of 16 yesterday evening so I did an OCLT and had FC of 15 this morning. Why isn’t it killing that algae? I don’t have a ladder in the pool, no lights, no main drain, no automatic feeder, nothing else in the pool. I cleaned between the trim by the steps again and nothing came out this time.

The pressure on my filter hasn’t increased at all. Should I clean it anyway? Should I vacuum to waste instead of brushing next time?

9am yesterday
FC: 15.5, CC: 0.5, TA: 100, pH: 7.5, CYA: 35
Added 1/2 gallon 10% chlorine, brushed pool

12pm yesterday
FC: 15.5, CC: 0.5, added 1/2 gallon 10% chlorine

4pm yesterday (clear sky and sun on pool all day)
FC: 14.0, CC: 0.5, added 1 gallon 10% chlorine

8pm yesterday
FC: 16, CC: 0.5, brushed pool

7am today
FC: 15.0, CC: 0.5, noticed the spot of algae mentioned above, brushed and kept seeing the “poofs” of greenish dust; added 1/2 gallon 10% chlorine to get back above 16

I’m on day 3 of SLAM and need some advice. Tested throughout yesterday and it’s losing less chlorine (results below), which is good, but this morning there was a small patch of visible algae in shallow end. When I brushed the floor, “poofs” of what I assume is algae came up with every pass. How is this possible when FC has been at SLAM for over 48 hours and I’m still getting readings of 0-0.5 CC?
It takes what it takes to kill the algae. Every pool is different... Algae doesn't necessarily mean CC >.5. Can be 0 and still have Algae.
I also had FC of 16 yesterday evening so I did an OCLT and had FC of 15 this morning. Why isn’t it killing that algae? I don’t have a ladder in the pool, no lights, no main drain, no automatic feeder, nothing else in the pool. I cleaned between the trim by the steps again and nothing came out this time.
It is and you are getting closer. Stick with it. The more often you can check and replace, the faster it will go.
The pressure on my filter hasn’t increased at all. Should I clean it anyway? Should I vacuum to waste instead of brushing next time?
Note clean pressure. When pressure rises 25%, then clean the cartridges. I don't think you need to vacuum to waste, not enough stuff in the pool. Keep brushing. You will get it.

Reactions: Mdragger88