New to TFP, Nashville, TN

Pump to waste is fine. And if you have an operating main drain that can continue to pull water once the skimmer is empty, that's even better. Just watch the overall water level. Even if you have to do a couple partial drains, at least you know the structure is okay.

Thanks Casey.

I drained a foot out which I calculate to about 6,000 gallons. Not sure I should take anymore at one time because I don't want to mess up the liner. Any thoughts about taking out more at one time? I figure I will need to do this 3-4 times to get down to 50 CYA. I will test tonight when it fills back up. Thanks for the help.

Every pool, water table, and supporting ground is different, so that's difficult to say. We often say here no lower than the bottom step, or no lower than 12-18" in the shallow end. Always err on the side of caution. For what it's worth, even though the TFP recommended CYA is 30-50, if you get the CYA down to 60 that is certainly manageable... even for a SLAM if needed. So use your good judgement.

Ok. Removed and replaced an estimated 8000 gal. CYA is now 60-80. I first stopped at 80 but then looked again and thought I could see the dot so filled again and got to 60. Not sure which is valid since this is only my second test. Thoughts?

I would first say great work! For now, make sure you have an FC of about 6-7 ppm to hold you over until tomorrow. Then check your CYA again as long as it's a bright and sunny outside to confirm. Then do your final FC adjustment from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, make that an FC of 8-9 since you're not quite sure yet. :) Just to be safe.

FC is 3. So are you thinking I'm in a good spot? I was thinking of dumping another 8000 gal to be on the safe side.

At this point I still have trichlor tabs left. Should I use them up (I have a lot) or would it be better to just write them off and get liquid chlorine/bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your CYA is 60, I think you are in a good spot. You would just have a slightly higher FC target each day (6-8). That's where mine is at and I'm just about ready for the summer sun. But if you're at 80, that's up there. Still manageable, but high. That's why I suggest increasing FC for tonight/tomorrow morning to keep algae away and to give you time to confirm the CYA one more time under good outside light. If you confirm that CYA is up around the 80s, yeah, you might want to drain a little more.

And why am I doing this when it is bright and sunny outside? I don't remember reading that when going over articles for the pool. My first 2 tests were done at night when I got home from work. Definitely not bright and sunny.

Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Retested today in the sun. Makes since with a brighter light. Not enough light and you might not be able to see the black dot and then have an unreliably high test result. CYA 60-70. Just dumped more H20 and filling back up. Should be good to go tomorrow on CYA. I will repost when retested.

Retested today in the sun. Makes since with a brighter light. Not enough light and you might not be able to see the black dot and then have an unreliably high test result. CYA 60-70. Just dumped more H20 and filling back up. Should be good to go tomorrow on CYA. I will repost when retested.
I think I would have given up in disgust already. You have my highest admiration. :bowdown:

The best part is, once things are settled, it's easy street from then on. Pool care will take about as much time and thought as brushing your teeth before bed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support