Sahampton

Jun 24, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a SWG and I have read a lot of the instructions here. I understand the SLAM process. My question is though, should I have to add chlorine to keep my FC level stable even with the SWG? I know I need to add it with SLAM. But I feel like my FC is never stable with the SWG.

Welcome to the forum!
You should not have to be adding liquid chlorine if your SWCG is sized properly, you are running it enough each day to create the chlorine you need, and you do not have algae in your water.
Can you post up a full set of test results using your own test kit and the specifications of your pool, equipment, etc. Filling out your signature helps us help you.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP!

Can you post some details about your pool or add to your signature? Pool volume, SWG model etc.

Also need to know your CYA level how long you run your pump and what setting you use on your SWCG.

I do believe the experts are going to say get your CYA up a little since you have a salt water pool. It will be easier to maintain proper FC levels at higher CYA.

It is the SC-36. Manual says if set on cell power 3 it puts out 1.28 pounds per day. But in looking at my settings, it is on cell power 3.
Your setting of 10 hours a day, 55% generation, with your pool volume, you are adding 1.4 ppm FC per day to your pool. Not nearly enough. You need to more than double the output. So I would set the cell at 100% generation and run it for 12 hours per day. That will add 3 ppm FC per day.

Once you confirm you have no algae, raise your CYA to 70 ppm. Maintain a FC of 6-7 ppm. Use liquid chlorine as necessary to get the FC to that level and let the SWCG maintain it. Test FC every day and see if you need to increase or decrease run time. Do not let FC fall below 4 ppm with 70 ppm CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your setting of 10 hours a day, 55% generation, with your pool volume, you are adding 1.4 ppm FC per day to your pool. Not nearly enough. You need to more than double the output. So I would set the cell at 100% generation and run it for 12 hours per day. That will add 3 ppm FC per day.

Once you confirm you have no algae, raise your CYA to 70 ppm. Maintain a FC of 6-7 ppm. Use liquid chlorine as necessary to get the FC to that level and let the SWCG maintain it. Test FC every day and see if you need to increase or decrease run time. Do not let FC fall below 4 ppm with 70 ppm CYA.
Thank you. My apologies, I meant the manual gave the output for power level 3. My settings are on power level 2. Does that matter?

Help me out on power level. Is that generation % related? An SC36 (similar to a RC35) can generate 1.28 lbs of chlorine gas per 24 hours at 100% generation.

Help me out on power level. Is that generation % related? An SC36 (similar to a RC35) can generate 1.28 lbs of chlorine gas per 24 hours at 100% generation.
That's a very good question. I can't quite tell, but I've been reading up now and it seems like if you have to run at power level 2 at 80% or more to maintain desired FC, it says to change to level 3. It may have to do with the auto-temperature control?

I would set the SWCG to generate the maximum FC and run it 12 hours per day and see what the FC levels do.

I would set the SWCG to generate the maximum FC and run it 12 hours per day and see what the FC levels do.
Thanks! Will do! I appreciate all of your help. I ordered a good test kit and should have it in a few days to get better numbers, etc. I'm excited to not need the pool store for really anything anymore. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.