mikewatson

Mar 27, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I moved into my home in September. we basically saw the pool and had to close it. Previous owner used chlorine tablets. 😕 We winterized our pool and just opened it back up. Here are the levels from my TF-100 kit. Looks like a drain/fill is in the very near future. Anything else you guys can recommend?

FC 5
PH 7
TA 90
CH 400
CYA 150 (a guess. This level in the test was so low below 100 that there isn’t a mark)
CSI -.84
TEMP 57.3

it has been raining here for a few days. I’ve been adding muratic acid to get the TA down, it was 150 a few days ago. Poolcalclulator.com recommends a 67% drain.

Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to get a proper test kit and take control of your pool water chemistry.
With CYA of greater than 100, you can do the dilute test if you wish. Take pool water and tap water 1:1. Mix well. Use that for your pool sample and do the CYA test again. What every you get for reading, double..
I suggest you consider using PoolMath. TFP maintains the app and if you like, you can subscribe and store all your test data in the app.

Read Draining - Further Reading to prepare for your future drain/exchange process.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hey Mike and Welcome !!! We use the poolmath app here so everyone is on the same page.

for a liquid chlorine dosed pool you will want the CYA at 30-40. Sadly, 30 would be an 80 % drain.

Welcome to the forum!
Great decision to get a proper test kit and take control of your pool water chemistry.
With CYA of greater than 100, you can do the dilute test if you wish. Take pool water and tap water 1:1. Mix well. Use that for your pool sample and do the CYA test again. What every you get for reading, double..
I suggest you consider using PoolMath. TFP maintains the app and if you like, you can subscribe and store all your test data in the app.

Read Draining - Further Reading to prepare for your future drain/exchange process.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you. I was told about TFP and PoolMath from a friend and instantly subscribed to the app. Thanks for the help, currently draining and refilling. 🤕

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you could SLAM now. If you're water is clear, raising your FC to 20 once may be enough. It'll kill anything that might still be in the water. Afterward, let your FC drop down into the normal levels for CYA 50 which is 6 to 8 FC and never let it go below 4. Also let your pH climb a little bit to around 7.6 and you'll be perfect.

And remember, no more pucks or hard chlorine unless you're going on vacation. Stick to the liquid chlorine. Now that you've got your CYA down to 50, don't put anything in the pool that contains it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.