new to SWG's - need guidance

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
so I took the plunge and got an SWG this year...I need to know what to look for as far as when to clean it? I am seeing a bit of white buildup on it, not a lot, just a smidge around the edges...just looking for a push towards when the right time to clean it might be?

thanks in advance!

If you notice light scaling use a hose with a nozzle that will blast a stream of water to clean the cell. This should clean it enough to not worry about it, as a little scaling is fine.

To prevent scaling from occurring you want to keep the CSI a little negative in the 0 to -.2 range.

My steps to clean a cell are the following: first use water, if it needs more cleaning use some type of "tool" to scrape off the scale. Do not use anything metal to scrape off the scale as that can also scrape off the coatings on the plates. I like to use chop sticks or a long wooden Qtip stick. If it still needs cleaning then use a 10:1 at the weakest or a 4:1 mix at the strongest of water to acid to soak the cell plates in.

WW2,

My cell manual says to check ever 90 days or so, but when I did I found zero scale.

I think the best thing to do is figure out what works for you. Test after 90 days, if no scale than test at 120 days, if no scale than test once at the end of the season... etc.

As ping points out.. don't use acid unless you have some very noticeable deposits.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.