New to salt water pool, question regarding chlorine, shocking, boosting, chemistry etc...

bsteab0yz

May 14, 2022
Hi there - just got my first water analysis done at the local store. I have a 20k gallon liner pool.

FC - 2

Total 2.5

CC 0.5

pH 7.7

Hardness 122 (got some hardness inc and just added)

Alk 100

CYA - 5 (got 2 gallons of this and added)

Salt 2500

My home test kit right now is the Pentair Rainbow 78. I did add about a 1 lb of chlorine shock to the pool to try and bust up the CC.

Here are my questions -

1. My home test kit tests for "chlorine residual" - not sure how that relates to free, total or CC. Please help explain this - or maybe I need a new kit that tests for those specifically (if that exists in a home kit)?
  2. I have a booster on my salt cell - will this get rid of CC? If not, what is the recommended way for a salt system with the boost to get rid of CC and how do I know I have CC if my test kit does not apparently test for that specific reading.
  3. Where do you like to keep PH and Alk in your salt pool?
  4. We swam yesterday and my skin is pretty dry and itchy today... not sure if it's the CC, pH or something else causing this. I've added a decent amount of M. Acid to the pool to try and drop the pH but it seems stuck on the higher level which I know is common for salt pools.
  5. If I have a salt cell, should I roll with just non-chlorine shock to reduce CC for now on?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Lots to cover, let's get right to it:
1 - That chlorine test is probably total chlorine. Not a great kit or what we at TFP consider user friendly and reliable. We recommend either a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. You really need one of those kits. The FC testing in those is phenomenal.
2 - No. Cells are great to maintain a proper FC range when balanced to the correct CYA, but do not expect an SWG to perform major increases. If you need the FC increased quickly, use liquid chlorine.
3 - pH usually anywhere between 7.2 - 7.8. It will probably settle around 7.8 though. TA, ideally around the 60-80 mark. Not a critical item to micromanage, so just ballpark.
4 - Hard to tell about the itching. I suspect the chemistry is off, and the pool store's testing (or advice) won't help.
5 - No MPS products. See the link below for outstanding reference to chemicals, levels, and more.

There is nothing you can't do wit the water with a TF-100 (my favorite) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Please make that a priority.

Non-chlorine shock will boost the CC readings so don’t use any of that. A CC reading of 0.5ppm is not a problem if it’s accurate. The issue is that pool store results are frequently not accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.