New to pools

rachelrichardsTN

Mar 6, 2021
Ten Mile, TN
Hi, we are in the beginning stages of picking a builder and deciding on either chlorine or salt water. We are totally new to this. I’m not sure that I have ever swam in a salt water pool. Maybe I have and don’t realize it. Is it like swimming in the ocean? I don’t like swimming in the ocean because of the salt water so I don’t want to make that mistake. Thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The salt content in a salt pool is much lower than the ocean, but it is slightly more than a non-salt pool and many people comment that it makes the water feel slightly softer. But a salt pool (with salt water generator) and non-salt pool (liquid chlorine) produce the same thing - chlorine. The only difference is with one you are jug-dumping chlorine and the other a SWG uses an electrolysis process to create chlorine from salt water. I converted to salt last year and love it. IF you have more questions, just let us know.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

The ocean is around 35,000 parts per million (ppm) salt, vs. 3,000 to 4,000 ppm in a salt water chlorinated pool. Most people can slightly taste the salt and some can't, in a salt water pool. Just to give you an idea of it. Salt water chlorine generators are less work than adding chlorine because you make your own chlorine at home rather than go get it and add it to the pool. The long term cost is about the same.

Good luck with the big project :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.