New to Pools

Are you sure you added the initial chlorine level correctly?

Going by poolmath and on your readings of:

520000 Litres
FC = 1

To shock to 20 using 12.5 liquid chlorine you would have required to add 7.9 litres (not the 12 litres you added). Maybe this is why you overshot on the FC reading.

Ok so PH is down to 7.3
CYA is 1ppm - typo CYA is 50
FC 1ppm
CC 0

based on this my unsdstanding is that I should shock to FC of 20, is this correct?
I have addd 12 litres of liquid chlorine and have the pump, and solar pump running

Just checked FC its at 26.5

Yes not sure why the FC jumped so much, possibly an error on my part.
Gave everything a good scrub and will continue to do so. Come the weekend I will be able spend a bit more time on it during daylight hours.

No. With a CYA of 30, your SLAM level is "12" so you're good. Anything too far over the SLAM level is just wasting bleach. Now is pool maintenance (scrubbing/sweeping), filtering, and backwashing. Don't overlook inspecting any areas that can hide algae (behind lights, inside ladder/steps, etc). Oh, and simply time. That's the tough one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG is reading low, going by the manual it operates best between 4000 and 6000ppm.
Given that it is reading low am I safe to add enough salt to raise 1000ppm at a time? Using the pool math that works out to 52kg, should I add this now or wait for the FC to drop?

should I now look at raising my CYA? It's winter here at the moment so the pool won't be getting much sun, and won't be used until later in the year now.

I would like like to maintain the pool over winter to get used to what I am doing so should I adjust all levels now?

Thanks.

Just not sure if you have completely finished the SLAM? Does your water look crystal clear like you can read a head or tail on a 10c piece in the deep end clear- I'm not sure if it's just the photo but the water still looks a little cloudy to me. That being the case then don't add anything other than chlorine just yet and keep SLAMming.

Once you are happy that you have fully completed the SLAM, at this time of the year your SWG will start to struggle with the cooler weather and then it is easier to run your pool with liquid chlorine (just turn your SWG right down to '0') and run it as a non-SWG pool. In which case you only want to run your CYA up to 50 max and it may be best to run it even closer to 30. If you have to backwash the overflow from the rain then you could be adding some a couple of times over winter. Once your pH goes below 10 then you can retest and re-adjust pH if required and then TA and CH.

Once you confirm that you have completed the SLAM, you can add the salt in and mix it around to dissolve it. It's not a bad idea to run the pump with the SWG off for a while after you add it but if you have to continue to backwash your filter while you are in SLAM mode you'll be tipping it down the drain so to speak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.