New to Pools, Where to Point Returns?

veazer

May 12, 2021
Virginia, USA
I have a pool that fits the drawing below (16x32' Vinyl in-ground, not to scale). 2 returns on the stairs, and 1 in the pool. Where should I point the returns? right now the big jet is pointed toward the shallow end and rippling the surface and everything to the left of it stays stagnant. Should I aim it down and left or up and left or keep it how it is? Pool has no drain, just the 3 return jets and the skimmer.
Pool.png

The main functions for returns are 1) returning water to the pool, 2) mixing the pool water (for chem additions), and 3) stirring the surface of the water to move stuff on the surface to the skimmer.

1 and 2 are gonna happen pretty automatically. So you only need to worry about #3. I would probably try aiming it to the left and up just enough that you see ripples on the surface and see if any debris moves around the pool.

With one skimmer and one jet in the pool how you point the jet is not going to make a big difference. Neither are optimal placement.

The prevailing winds will have the biggest effect on the way debris on the surface moves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.