New to pools. Having to backwash constantly?

KLight1980

Jul 25, 2020
Christiansburg, VA
Hey folks! New to the forum, first post. I bought a home last August with an above ground pool. Things were hectic and other repairs/maintenance took precedence. Last week I started on the pool after over a year of no activity. Prior owners got it ready in Spring last year, but thats about it.

Dozens of frogs and hundreds of tadpoles later, I have the water clear enough that I can sometimes see where I'm vacuuming. Water is blue till I start messing with the bottom.

My biggest problem/concern is that I can't just leave the pump and filter going. I can run it on filter for 45 minutes or so, then have to stop and backwash it again. Is this normal? I'm thinking the amount of debris is causing the sand filter to get that gunked up? Its mostly very small, minute, yet still visible particles sucking I to the skimmer. The one time I've left it running and left, pressure built up so much that when I got home, a hose had busted. When the gauge gets about 10 above starting I'm backwashjng.

Any help appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
Your filter is doing what it is designed to, filter out particles. Do you have a multport valve such that you can put the filter valve on recirculate when you cannot babysit the filter?
Can you post a full set of test results? How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
You need to follow the SLAM Process.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I do have a recirculate option. As foe the tests, I've run two separate, with one having an app that told me what I need to add. Also attached, a puc of what the pool currently looks like. Should I keep working on vacuuming out, then do chemicals, or start chemicals first? Seems counterproductive to do the chemicals then continue vacuuming with how much water it wastes? Thank you for the reply!

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.