New to pool ownership - first tests done - Doing the SLAM

Re: New to pool ownership - first tests done

must've been reading the outside of the gauge... :\ kpa
but yeah def back down to 3psi on medium & nothing on low speed.

Lunch update...
FC = 21, so topped it up again!

Looking nice & clear, cloudy but meh. Not much in the sock.

Did some swimming before I added & had a good look at the algae on the bottom - working really well!
All the algae has its outer surface all grey/white & fluffy & just a little green underneath, so def stripping it away.

Another brush & a vacuum when the sun goes down a little.

But of course!
Quite intrigued to see the SLAM process work definitively too :)

Afternoon test - looking good.
fc = 29 (SLAM = 31)
So after 3 hours only lost a little! (with some sunshine too)

Did a vacuum & very little came out too - about 2tsp of white cloudy sludge.
I'm thinking another day & I should be there, of course will confirm with the ofclt thingy!

Explains why I did so well in organic chemistry lol

Looking good...
FC - 29 this morning...

and then... RAN OUT OF R-0871! :\
only got the little 0.75oz bottles & didnt realise I had to SLAM.

So... i've got another day or two to go, but i'll be 100% blind!
Suggestions?

The last few additions have been 150g (cal hypo) about 3 times a day... so continue this for another day or two & then have a good inspection & let the levels come down?

2Oz kit will be about 6-7 days away & the other crappy one I have wont go above 3ppm FC

yeah will see if i can hold it up with some regular small additions of chlorine.

Did a quick manual scan & there's still a bit of green algae here & there.
Another tablespoon of grey goop from vacuuming.

So a few more days to go!

Re: New to pool ownership - first tests done - Doing the SLA

Ok so finally got my reagents & did a chlorine test...
i've been winging it for the last week or so, throwing in what I think is correct...
tested.... 29 at the end of the day! (should be at 31)

So pretty much bang on, not bad after a week of guessing.

Brushed by hand with a small wire brush & got a good 2-3table spoons of white crud (dead algae).
Not much of the bottom of the pool - but it was the first time i brushed the sides of the pool, so most came from there.

Got one of those suction heads (end of pole jobs) that have brush/bristles & that seems to be going well.
Water has been crystal clear for a week - only a little cloudyness from granular chlorine addition.
Manual inspections show almost zero algae - all the usual spots are clean...except

A tiny gap in the pebbles at the top step - still a small amount of green algae in there.

Its been about 2 weeks now with SLAMing - how long does it normally last? (piece of string I know)
Will do the overnight test tonight.

Is it possible to pass the overnight test & still have a small amount of green algae somewhere?

How is the water circulation where you see the algae? If bad, that could the why. If you have a trichlor puck you could try rubbing it a bit on the crack ... careful not too much as it could fade the plaster.

yeah probably not too good.
I sprinkled a little granular on the steps directly as thats where its been the problem - the floor it came off pretty quickly & the other step it came off really well.

I was initially leaving the patch as an "indicator" - as it was easy to see & show me how effective the SLAM was - but now i'm over having it ;)
its reduced a LOT in size etc - but it seems to be the last one left that I can find on the pool surface.

I also had the pump off a bit last week (I was away - missus isnt 100% on checking everything yet - so worried about blockages etc), so will put it back on 24/7.

Will do the overnight test tonight & see how its looking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

nate said:
Went to get more chlorine, they didnt have any liquid - but they had granular.

Didnt realise it was a lot stronger (good thing!) and adds Calcium hardness - which is something I need too!
nate said:
Yeah I know - it was on a crazy special at the hardware store & I need to increase the CH a lot.
4kg of 700g/kg = $29
10kg of 650g/kg = $29***
15L of 12.5% = $10

Just thought I would mention that the calhypo is not "a lot stronger" than sodium hypochlorite when comparing it by price/ppm of FC added:

4kg of 70% calhypo at $29 will raise your pool FC by 56 ppm or cost about $0.52/ppm
10kg of 65% calhypo at $29 will raise your pool FC by 126 ppm or cost about $0.23/ppm
15L of 12.5% sodium hypochlorite at $10 will raise your pool FC by 37 ppm or cost about $0.27/ppm

Make sure once you get your CH up where you want it, to stop using the calhypo.

looking good...
the water has been immaculate for a week now. No cloudyness & insanely clear.
yesterdays brush revealed absolutely bugger all gunk (dead grey algae) - less than 1/8tsp, which was probably missed from the previous manual vacuum. Brush of walls & floor 1 week ago had about 2tbl spoon of stuff at least - actually had to empty skimmer sock 3 times.

Did my OLT last night... (10ml sample)
CC is <0.5 & barely comes up on the test (will do a 25ml more accurate one this afternoon), much improved from tests yesterday.
OLT was <1ppm

The last little green algae spot has shrunk a lot down to a pin head now - went back to liquid chlorine the last few doses, I think it might be much more effective. So it shrunk about 75% in volume in a day (had the pump up to medium speed for a day).
Did the manual inspection everywhere in the pool & cant find any signs anywhere - not even dead algae.

Will redo the test tonight with 25ml samples for increased accuracy & confirm the results.
(also did a backwash yesterday to remove any organics in the sand filter).

happy days if I pass the higher resolution test :)

nate said:
Will redo the test tonight with 25ml samples for increased accuracy & confirm the results.
No need for the 25ml sample, the 10 is fine for all purposes.

nate said:
The last little green algae spot has shrunk a lot down to a pin head now
Until there is no sign of algae keep going with the SLAM process (it is one of the keep going criteria).

nate said:
went back to liquid chlorine the last few doses, I think it might be much more effective.
One type of chlorine in not more effective than another. The side effects of the different sources is what differentiates them.

Keep up the good work and pass all three SLAM criteria (in my signature) simultaneously before letting you FC drop below your SLAM level.

yeah algae has gone today - as soon as I brushed it, it gave up all hope!
Will do another 2 days even though i've passed the test already etc. CC is still nothing from this mornings tests.

Chlorine more effective - well the granular didnt dissolve easily at all, so I was assuming the faster dissolving chlorine would be more effective.
either way... winning!

Weather turned crappy though :\

And we're done...

Final levels:
CH: 310
PH: 7.6
FC: 12-13 (coming down from SLAM)
TA: 100 (pool $hop lead me down that path, never been in the range)

So we're pretty much bang on!
CH is right where it needs to be & FINALLY not fighting high pH.

- - - Updated - - -

All clean!
(always has a little green/blue tinge to it - dont worry!)

20140128_145946.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.