New to pool and contemplating 24 foor vs 27 foot pool

May 29, 2017
kokomo IN
Currently it is just 2 people. Maybe some kids in it twice a month.

I live in Indiana so the pool season is likely 5 months tops.

I don't plan on getting a pool heater.

24 foot seems large enough, but not sure if there is a major chemical cost difference between a 24 foot and a 27 foot pool.

Anyone have a cost estimate for the chemical costs of a 24 foot pool or a 27 foot pool? I'm worried to spend $200 a month in chemicals alone.

Also the installer / sales place really wants me to get a all resin pool Trevi Krystal 9'' Resin Top seat 7'' Resin upright, 52'' Steel Wall.
I like the appearance of Trevi Stellar 7'' Resin Top seat, 7'' Steel upright. 52'' Steel Wall.

Is all resin a great thing vs hybrid?

Hi, welcome to TFP! People who use the TFP method do not pay that much monthly to care for their pools. We avoid expensive pool store chemicals and use plain, unscented bleach to sanitize the pool. Baking soda, washing soda, muriatic acid, and borax can be used to adjust pH and TA levels. CYA/stabilizer can be found at Walmart and most hardware stores. CYA is about the only common pool chemical that does not have a grocery store equivalent.

The single most important investment you can make in the water quality of your pool is a high quality test kit that uses FAS/DPD testing. These kits are easy to use and will give you accurate results. When you do your own testing you know the test conditions are consistent and the tests are performed correctly. We recommend the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . Either kit will last a couple of years with normal use when stored in a cool, dry place.

As far as the size of you pool goes, you can mark the size of the pool you are considering by using a couple of water hoses to make a 24' circle on the ground. Lay down in the circle and see if you feel like it would be big enough. You can also see how it fits in your yard and if it will encroach on any easements you may have. Also allow about 2' around the pool to make sure you have enough room to walk all the way around. Cleaning is more difficult if parts of the pool are hard to reach.

I would go with the pool I liked. The only difference I see between the two is a resin upright. Both have steel walls.

Welcome
If my math is correct, a 27' pool would hold about 25% more water...which would mean it needs 25% more chlorine. (Still no where near $200/mo on the TFP method)

I started with a smaller pool, and I think 24' is quite nice. I can swim laps and it doesn't feel like I am in a tight turn all the time. 27' would be a nice luxury, but may only be used if you are seriously swimming or have larger groups over.

We have a 27 ft. round and I love it! So glad we didn't go smaller and sometimes I wish we would have gone with a 30 ft. round. I can do laps, and lots of people can be in the pool and still have room to move around. I would go with the largest you can afford. The upkeep will be the same no matter what size. The chemicals won't be a big difference once you have it stablized, the chlorine cost isn't bad. I think I spend around $50 a month or less on chlorine. Not sure how that compares with what others spend.

27' round and 4' deep is about 17000 gallons.

I maintain 16000 gallons on about a buck a day. High-strength pool chlorine might be cheaper here since everyone has a pool, but I don't see you spending $200 a month on chemicals. Maybe $200 for the season. There will the upfront costs, like the pole and brush and vacuum and test kit. Test kit is a must if you want to keep expenses down. Don't worry, the test kit is a one-time major investment. If you buy a TF100, the refills go on on sale in the early spring every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.