New to Opening a Pool and Maintaining

Your hose will never keep up with backflush rate. And doing that, non stop, for 30000 gallons is not realistic.

Sure he has done it that long. His clients do not realize that cloudy water that makes their skin dry and eyes red is not acceptable pool water.

From what he had told me, he had been doing the pool maintenance for several years and the previous owners did not close the pool in the winter. So this is the first time it had been closed in a couple of years over the winter. And I opened it up to find these kinds of numbers... Like you cannot claim superiority when both the test strips and the TF-100 CYA readings are >100. He was definitely using some kind of chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket, but I'd have to drag out my receipts to see what other chemicals he was using.

Last question, what do I really need to get the CYA down to? The CYA/Chlorine charts are very different for SWG vs chlorine and we are going to install the SWG tomorrow but not turn it on. I obviously need to drain to drop the CYA, but how low do I need to go?

If the pool water is clear and you can pass a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, I would target 50 or 60 ppm with your drain/exchange. However, your dilute test did not even show your real CYA level. And going further with a more dilute sample just raises the error rate really high.

I would suggest you essentially exchange an entire pool volume. With the inefficiencies of the process, you will still have some CYA, just hopefully not too much.

Also, do not put chemicals directly in the skimmer. Especially trichlor tablets. They are very acidic. It would not surprise me if your skimmer basket and other parts are not damaged by the trichlor. It also impacts the pump seals.

Finished the first round of exchange today, tested the CYA this evening and got right at 100. Did the second drain this evening and am filling her back up. Will probably take until tomorrow evening to fill. Guess I'll circulate the water with the pump and test again after it is full and water has circulated. Really hoping for a CYA of about 60. ***crosses fingers ***

Definitely won't even be using tablets/pucks, ever.

We installed the SWG on Sunday (was really easy overall - I told my brother in law as he was installing..... just make sure the arrow on the flow switch goes in the direction of water flow...come back a little while later after he is done....guess who had it backwards?! Luckily we were able to switch it around with some extra connectors). So just need to get the CYA to a manageable level for a SLAM. Already calculated around how much liquid chlorine would be needed for about 3 days of a SLAM shock and will pick up a couple of other typical chemicals as I assume I will likely need to decrease the pH and increase the alkalinity based on general properties of tap water. Hoping to get that SWG actively generating chlorine after a couple more days here!

Reactions: mknauss
I went ahead and tested the other parameters tonight before I did anything else.

FC 12.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 50
CYA 80 (from this morning)
Salt 400

Pool water is clear and blue, but I've got green algae on the bottom. I've vacuumed the pool and brushed the walls.

From what I gather since I have algae I really do have to drain and fill more to drop the CYA further to do a SLAM?

From what I gather since I have algae I really do have to drain and fill more to drop the CYA further to do a SLAM?
That or SLAM at 80 ppm CYA. Not the best. If it is reasonable to drain another 40-50%, it would be best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.