New-to-me Pool. Replace filter sand right away?

jdmurphy

Mar 25, 2019
Yalesville, CT
This is my first pool. I'm feeling good about getting it open and up and running myself. It's a 14,000 gal in ground. I have a Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter. I saw the thread here about sand filter deep cleaning, it was very informative.

My question, the previous owner left a few hundred pounds of new sand behind, should I replace all of the sand (it won't cost me anything) at the beginning of the season? Or, do the deep clean, take care of getting the pool in pretty good shape, then replace the sand? I'm leaning towards the second option.

Thanks

In theory, sand is inert and should never need changing. In pratice, especially if it hasn't been deep cleaned for years, it can be pretty yucky in there. Your choice, but I change it out every 10 years-or-so and I'm glad I do.

Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming it will benefit from a deep cleaning. I saw photos of the pool before we bought the house, and it looked great. But, given the age of the filter and pump it probably could use some attention.

I have read elsewhere that the sand loses some effectiveness over time as the granules get worn down or less sharp if that makes sense. Any truth to that?

I have read elsewhere that the sand loses some effectiveness over time as the granules get worn down or less sharp if that makes sense. Any truth to that?
Welcome! :wave: In theory, sand is millions of years old, so simply having water run through t shouldn't make a difference. Your biggest question mark is what, if anything, did the previous owners add to the water that may have compromised the sand (i.e. floc, clarifiers, etc). But a deep clean is certainly not a bad idea. Maybe save the new sand for later in case a lateral goes bad or something, then change it at that time when the vessel has to be emptied anyways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.