New to Managing a Pool - In-ground Pool, Southern California

Absoloot

Aug 28, 2020
Southern California
Hey, just found TFP recently. Name's David. My family recently inherited a piece of property from my grandfather and started managing it last year. Property has an old (60s) plaster pool, ~25k gallons, that we need to take care of.

Long and short of it is, my dad hired a guy to maintain the pool from a local small business (SoCal), and 6 months later in December our pool turns deep, deep green. Nasty stuff. Pool guy says its not his fault, we need a new pump. Obviously that's BS, and we fired him. So begins my time managing the pool.

Went to a local pool story run by an older guy, not corporate. He gave me some good advice, and I slammed the pool with liquid chlorine, kept adding day after day and brushing until it was clear. Then we vacuumed up the particulate, pulled the filter, and deep cleaned it with bleach taking it apart panel by panel. Problem solved, pool was crystal clear and algae free. Now, at this point I should mention the pool guy wasn't completely lying, the pump that was managing the pool was an old 1 HP above ground pump, the kind that comes in a pool kit for putting together an above ground pool for the summer. It was absolutely old and not working great, so we sprung for a decent pump, the SuperFlo.

Recently been having some troubles and the guy's at Leslie's have been less than helpful, and the local I talked before is closed due to COVID. So I started diving into it to find some actually useful advice and stumbled here. Read up on everything and bought a TF-100 test kit. So, hopefully things will get easier in the months to come than they have these last few! I posted in another forum for some advice, so I won't bloat this any further. Thanks to all the guys who put the main articles together, really helpful!

Regards,

David