New to maintaining pool, am I testing correctly?

Sep 18, 2017
Houston TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP, I recently fired the pool service company and have started maintaining my pool chemistry myself. I purchased the TFTestkit with the smart stir since I am new to this. I am reasonably confident that I am performing the tests correctly, but I have no experience to rely on.

background: after receiving my TFTestkit & firing the pool service company, My test results for FC were less than 1ppm. I am 100% positive the service company was maintaining my pool with chlorine tablets. After finding the low FC level on 4-25-2022, I added several gallons of 10% LC to get some chlorine into the pool. Truthfully I dont remember exactly how many gallons I added to get it to 21.5ppm FC, but I think it was somewhere between 4-6gallons.

my pool is 35,000 gal in ground gunite/plaster in Houston TX, and gets full sun from 9am-7pm during this time of year. Water temperature has been in the low to mid 80's.

I am looking for validation that I am on track and performing these tests correctly, and if I forgot something please let me know. I'd appreciate any insights.
Thank you all,

1652368611754.png

Reactions: KJB1 and V___25
Great job on getting that test kit and lowering your CYA! With a CYA of 60, your FC should be in the 7-9 range based on the FC/CYA chart with 5 as a minimum. You might want to bump that FC up a skoosh.

Can you fill out your signature to help us know what all equipment exactly you have?

Hello TFP, I recently fired the pool service company and have started maintaining my pool chemistry myself. I purchased the TFTestkit with the smart stir since I am new to this. I am reasonably confident that I am performing the tests correctly, but I have no experience to rely on.

background: after receiving my TFTestkit & firing the pool service company, My test results for FC were less than 1ppm. I am 100% positive the service company was maintaining my pool with chlorine tablets. After finding the low FC level on 4-25-2022, I added several gallons of 10% LC to get some chlorine into the pool. Truthfully I dont remember exactly how many gallons I added to get it to 21.5ppm FC, but I think it was somewhere between 4-6gallons.

my pool is 35,000 gal in ground gunite/plaster in Houston TX, and gets full sun from 9am-7pm during this time of year. Water temperature has been in the low to mid 80's.

I am looking for validation that I am on track and performing these tests correctly, and if I forgot something please let me know. I'd appreciate any insights.
Thank you all,

View attachment 409624
I am envious of your organization

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.