New to forum

Hi, and welcome to TFP! We'll have to wait for some of our south-easterners to weigh it, but I'm just curious: why are you closing your pool? Is that customary in your area? I stop using my pool this time of year, but don't need to close it. I reduce some of the maintenance tasks and pump runtime, but that's about it.

Is this a vacation home, and you close up everything for the season?

You might post some pictures to help others visualize what to advise. And if you could fill in your signature, that too will help others help you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can cut back significantly on pump runtime and maintenance in the colder months. I test and dose my pool just once a week in the winter. I could get by with just a few hours of filtering a day, maybe less. I've never done a close, but testing FC and pH a dozen times throughout the winter seems like significantly less work than closing and opening a pool. Plus, I still get a lot of enjoyment from my pool during off-season. I like to look at the water, and wouldn't ever consider covering it up or draining it down a few feet. I enjoy my pool year-round!

Reactions: Macdaddy20
Our cover was custom made to fit around the railing of the ladder and waterfall. Tiny open area by the railing where I can take water samples and add chlorine (via a pvc pipe system). Mesh LoopLoc cover. Run pump only about two hours a day and add chlorine every three-six weeks when needed.

I'm not far from you MacDaddy, and we've never closed our pool. Currently running the pump for about 2-3 hrs a day. SWG on winter setting of 5%, but I know its not producing because water is too cold. FC lasts *forEVER*.

Then Skippy covers the equipment pad with old moving blankets and a tarp, which he hangs an auto light under. On nights that we expect freezing weather we run the pump all night long (10p to 10a) to keep the water moving. By then the weather is usually over freezing.

This has worked well for us.

Maddie