New to chlorine / former oxygen pool user! Help!!!

Jwil01

Jul 31, 2022
Midland, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all! We have used oxygen pool system for 3 years. This year we switched to chlorine due to issues with the oxgyen generator and the fact that we do not have a local dealer.

Our pool hs been beautiful and clear but our cya levels are 117
Our ph is 8.2
Our alkalinity is 100
Total chlorine is 2
Free chlorine 2.

Realized we had a problem when i added chlorbrite and my chlorine levels would not register at all.

pool store told us to backwash and refill and cya levels would drop. We started at 130

We were told to use liquid chlorine but were not given a recommendation on how much. Ive been adding 32 oz every other day , by the end of the second day test strips indicate total chlorine levels as low as 1 so i add more.

We had been using chlorbrite and stabilized pucks in the pool until we found out the cya was so high.
Does high cya affect chlorine and ph and alk?

Any advice ?

Time to do a little reading. CYA inhibits the chlorine and it's ability to sanitize the water, so as CYA levels go up the amount of free chlorine you need in the water goes up. You can look at this chart for the levels.

That you say your CYA is 117 tells me you probably went to a pool store for testing. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit.

Please don't go to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry

Recommended Pool Chemicals

How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.