New to BBB method. Having some trouble..

Don't worry about testing for metals. If you had your well tested and it showed none you should be fine. Ground water doesn't change from year to year much at all.

I think it just needs more time to filter out. It's only been two days since you passed the overnight test so some POP is in order right now.

Is it possible that pollen could be making the pool look this way? The pictures make it look a lot bluer than it really is. In real life it looks much dingier. And there is stiff pooling on the steps, but doesn't feel slimy like algae. Also, my CC is still at 0.. If so, how can we get rid of the pollen? The filter doesn't seem to be catching it.

That is odd - perhaps try filter aids like a clarifier or adding DE to the sand filter (instructions in pool school)? Also try skimmer socks/knee highs stretched over the skimmer basket - they catch alot of crud if this indeed pollen causing the issues.

The color is strange - I'd go ahead and test for metals anyway, ya never know.

Pollen during peak pollen season can be dramatic. The skimmer will get a lot of it, but some always settles to the bottom where it needs to be vacuumed up (or gone over with a pool cleaner of one kind or another). Pollen can build up on surfaces, etc, but it won't make the water cloudy/murky/etc.

That photo doesn't look at all like metals to me. Metals coloring the water will add color while leaving the water clear and transparent.

Well, I don't think that it could be metals. We've had our well tested and there were no metals found. The water is definitely cloudy/murky, though. I turned the pool off this morning for about 4 hours to let everything settle before I vacuumed. A lot of the dingy look came out with the vacuuming, but i can only barely see the vacuum head when it's at the bottom, and I can't see the pattern on the bottom of the pool at all. I do have some sparkle up. I also have some flocculent. Should I try one or both of them? Or should I even go to the pool store and have them test the water to compare against what I get with my TFtestkit. I'm just sooo frustrated.....

I know someone suggested some POP for my pool, but with no change I am out of it. The 2nd P in POP is not a strong suit of mine, anyway.. I did actually go to my favorite local pool store(the smallest, cheapest, least pushy) only to find that it was closed for the day... So, I've decided to 'floc' the pool tonight. I suppose I'll post the results tomorrow..

We see that you're lacking a little of the second P in POP by bumping this thread twice in less than 2 hours after making a post. :mrgreen:

Don't compare your test results against that of a pool store. It'll just confuse you because theirs will not match yours I almost garrantee it. Trust your results and if you do have a doubt about your results post back here and we'll figure out if you're doing something wrong.

refresh my memory. Have you done an overnight chlorine drop test?
Your pool takes time to clear out, adding floc may help and if you have it and no patience to let it clear with normal filtering then go ahead and add it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just went through this same situation. My water was cloudy blue for more than a week. What ended up working for me was a granular floc product. I turned off the pump in the evening, and scattered about 2 pounds of floc over the surface. Leave the floc for at least 24 hours, longer is better, and then vacuum to waste all the dark spots on the bottom. I did a thorough blind vacuum before I spread the floc to make sure there was no organics left on the bottom. After vacuuming to waste, I left the vacuum running on filter, just sitting on the bottom in the middle of the pool. (wherever dirt tends to accumulate in the pool) After about three days, the pool was sparkling. Thanks to all the TFP folks, Pool School and this whole forum is awesome!
Dan

Yay for 'floc' and SparkleUp. Two days ago I vaccuumed the pool to get as much up as I could. Then that night I added liquid flocculent that I had gotten at lowes. After leaving the pump off overnight, yesterday morning everything has settled to the bottom. I then vacuumed to waste. That made a tremendous difference. Then, I added sparkle up to the filter and brushed a lot yesterday. My son and I even got in for a bit yesterday. This morning my pool is sparkling!!!! Looks like the pool party set for this weekend is 'on' after all! Thanks to everyone for their help. My current levels are:

FC: 3
CC: 0
TA: 100
CH: 100
CYA: 35
Ph: 7.4

Re: New to BBB method. Having 111some trouble..

Nice work, ljj,

Keep your FC at 2-4ppm or just a little more.

After the party, or when you get a chance, consider upping your CYA to around 50ppm. That's not too much for here in NC and your maintenance level for chlorine will be just a little higher (keep it between 3-6ppm)but you will lose less chlorine on a daily basis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.