New thread for old problem

B,

If you have eliminated the spa jets and the spa drains, the only thing left is the spa light.

Does it stop draining when it gets to the same level as the pool? If so, it could still be the spa light.

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

If you have eliminated the spa jets and the spa drains, the only thing left is the spa light.

Does it stop draining when it gets to the same level as the pool? If so, it could still be the spa light.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, it stops at pool level, but does not drain down to the light. Maybe wrong thinking on my part, but i was thinking if it was the light it would drain down to that level?

I would think so too, but if it were still something like the check valve, it would act this way. The way to eliminate or confirm the light is to totally isolate the spa. Plug both drains and returns, making it effectively a big bucket. Fill with water and see what happens overnight. It will either hold water, lose water to pool level, or lose water below pool level (as far as the light, depending on the speed of the leak). If below pool level, it is likely the light. If at pool level, then there is likely a path through the wall between the sap and pool. If it hold water, the problem is in the plumbing after all.

The reason I ask is that in most cases the answer is no. Light niches are usually set on an exterior wall so as to run the conduit easily.

That the water is draining back to pool level remains an important clue.

If you are not losing any water beyond evaporation from the pool/spa as a whole (can confirm via bucket test), then the light fixture likely isn't even in the picture. Because if it is a typical install, losing water to the light fixture means it will be going into the ground outside the pool.

Water seeks its own level in a closed system like this, so you really are looking at:
1) bad check valve - somehow spa is draining back to the pool, likely via the returns. But you plugged the returns and it still drained back to pool level.
2) draining back through the spa drain. But you plugged the drains and it still drained back to pool level.
3) some path (leak/hole) between the spa and pool, likely at the spillover.

At this point, I'm wondering about #3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.