New Swim Spa Water Source, Water smells Odd

swimspaguyy11

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2021
NJ
Hi, I recently moved my 2000 gallon swim spa to a new house and filled with the well water and after going through the chemical startup procedure, the water has an odd smell to it.

My old house was city water, my new house is well water with more mineral content.

My spa at my old house smelled as you would expect a bromine spa to smell, like bromine. My new house I dont really smell bromine, it's some other weird smell. I wouldn't say its a horrible smell, it's just different. I am wondering if bromine mixed with well water reacts with the minerals and makes a different smell?

My TF 100 Pro test kit tested the water upon filling as:

PH 7.2
ALK 110
CH 215

I didn't really adjust anything, I just left it like that and added sanitation. My PH is usually around 7.5 on average, closer to 7.2 when not used and closer to 8 when aerated.

I am running around 2-4ppm of bromine, I use the 3 step method. I use bromine initiator, then put 3-4 tabs in a floater and then shock regularly with 2 to 3oz of MPS. Same method I used in my previous house.

The only other thing I can think of is my bromine and initiator were sitting in a hot shed for a while, I dont know if they break down or something like that?

I really wish I could describe the smell, I dont really smell it when I sit in the water and I dont really smell it on me when I get out. It's mainly when I open the cover and get a whif. The water is crystal clear. I am thinking about adding Boric acid or gentle spa to see if that helps.

Thanks

PS. The TF100 Pro chlorine drop test seems to work for Bromine, but I noticed the bromine uses a slightly different drop, are they interchangable?

Folks who are not used to well water often tell me that the smell is more "organic" than they are used to with treated surface water, and that is about as close to describing the smell probably. First thing, though, is to have your water fully tested if was not at purchase. Well water tanks accumulate all kinds of minerals, which are harmless and can add to smell, but most important you want to know about any coliform bacteria counts. It's not uncommon here to pull a float from a well that has been compromised during a previous repair and to find coliform colony on float and in tank, which has a rotten egg smell, and which requires chlorination to rid.

Edit to add: Also, you mention the smell is most first after being under cover and dissipating mostly. Sulfur smell will build and gas out like that. When testing, look at sulfur. If all turns out to mineral v. bacterial, a water softener is ultimate remedy.

Last edited:
Folks who are not used to well water often tell me that the smell is more "organic" than they are used to with treated surface water, and that is about as close to describing the smell probably. First thing, though, is to have your water fully tested if was not at purchase. Well water tanks accumulate all kinds of minerals, which are harmless and can add to smell, but most important you want to know about any coliform bacteria counts. It's not uncommon here to pull a float from a well that has been compromised during a previous repair and to find coliform colony on float and in tank, which has a rotten egg smell, and which requires chlorination to rid.

Edit to add: Also, you mention the smell is most first after being under cover and dissipating mostly. Sulfur smell will build and gas out like that. When testing, look at sulfur. If all turns out to mineral v. bacterial, a water softener is ultimate remedy.

Thank you, Organic might be a good way to put it. I've noticed if I dispense water from my faucet and let it sit, it smells like dirt (organic). I might be smelling that dirt/organic smell + bromine, that might explain why it smells weird. When I filled my swim spa I got a bunch of silt/sand randomly so I am wondering if maybe my well needs work. It wasn't a huge amount but it was enough to make a pile in the deep end and I had to buy a vacuum to get it out.

My water was tested by a lab before closing, it's required in NJ. These were the results, unfortunately it looks like they didnt test for Sulfur. This test was done by a lab worker who took a sample from the holding tank it says. This was done in the winter though, that might explain the lower ph, I got in t he 7's when I filled my spa.

1657282825591.png

I had looked into getting water delivery but they make you pay for a full tanker even though I only need 2000 gallons. Paying $350-$450 every 3-6 months would get ridiculous so I decided to just fill from the well.

Perhaps I will look into getting one of those free extensive water tests that companies offer to try and get you to buy their water softener system.

Thanks

If you are not dealing with hard water issues, you might start with just a good dual-stage filtration bank.

What is ironic is I already have that, my water just barely failed a test for PFOA and the seller was required to install a filtration system consisting of a pre-filter, 2 big resin tanks that look like water softener but they just remove the pfoa, and then a 2nd stage filter after them. The ironic part is that when I had my new hose bibs installed I had the plumber connect them before the filtration system thinking that I wouldnt want to waste the filtration doing things like watering the grass and plants and washing cars, etc and thinking it would get me better flow rate and pressure at the nozzle.

However, I am going to install a new 3rd hose bib that goes through the filter so I have the option to use t hat for the pool top off and spa filling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.