New SWG Pool, need a little help

Hey all, we just had our pool opened yesterday and the heater is cranking, lol. They shocked the pool yesterday when they opened and said I need to wait 24-48hrs to swim. I haven't added anything yet, but here are my readings just now:
~14k gallon plaster/concrete pool
Water Temp: 65 degrees
pH: 8.2 at least
FC: 3 ppm
CC: 3 ppm
TA: 120
Cal: 300
CYA: <10 (didn't actually get to a point where I couldn't see the black dot in the view tube, using TF-100 kit)
Salt: 2100 (reading from Aqua Rite T15 digital readout)
Readout lights on Aqua Rite are illuminated Red for "Check Salt" and Orange for "Inspect Cell"

Pool Math app is saying to add 105lbs of salt, but also showing that my FC, pH, TA, and Salt are all outside of "recommended range"; and that CYA and CH are outside of "ideal range".

Here is my pool, thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_155250_681 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20220414_155250_681 (Large).jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Some things to note:
1. Definitely lower the pH as soon as you can with some muriatic acid. Since you already have an elevated TA, use enough acid to lower the pH to about 7.0 - 7.2.
2. CYA? If the dot never disappeared your CYA is way too low. Is that what you mean? If so, increase the CYA to about 50 for now. Even though this is a salt pool that should have a CYA of about 70, it's still cool in some areas and you need to rule-out algae via an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This way if you do have to run a SLAM Process a CYA of 50 requires a lower FC level than a CYA of 70.

Please update your signature (see mine as an example) and be sure to show which test kit you use. :goodjob:

Reactions: Mdragger88
how do I know how much to add?
The PoolMath APP can help you with that one all chemicals and dosage amounts. The link below also has sub-pages with recommended chemicals, levels, etc. If you still have questions let us know.

Reactions: BaltimoreCaesar
Added recommended chemicals according to pool math, now reading as follows:
Water Temp: 74 degrees
pH: 7.6
FC: 1 ppm
CC: 0.5 ppm
TA: 110
Cal: 390
CYA: 50
Salt: 3400 (reading from Aqua Rite T15 digital readout)
Readout lights on Aqua Rite are illuminated green for "generating" and Orange for "Inspect Cell"

Is it safe to swim in aside from being a bit too cold? My 6 & 9 yr olds are dying to go for a first swim in their new pool!

Your free chlorine is LOW.
You need to add liquid chlorine now to get to target 🎯 level fc for your cya level FC/CYA Levels & then allow your swg to keep up. Swg’s are not designed to produce chlorine quickly - so if you wait on it to catch up nasty can grow in the process. It is safe to swim with fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya.
You also need to have a Taylor k1766 salt test so you can independently test your salt level & not solely rely on the readout.
Tonight I would do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out an algae issue.
If you fail a SLAM Process is in order
If you pass you can just aim for target fc level & see how your swg keeps up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.