New SWG and I think I added too much salt

Apr 22, 2011
North Florida
I just installed a CircuPool Edge 40 SWG. Earlier this week I added 12 bags of salt, which I thought was being conservative because the pool calculator said I should be adding 14 bags... with the assumption I had 0ppm salt. I just took a sample of water to the pool store and salinity is 5000ppm. So... apparently I already had some salt in the pool (I guess from using liquid chlorine?). I feel dumb for not testing the water first, but what's done is done..

What are my options? Am I going to damage anything by having such high salinity? The water definitely has a salty taste and "feel". I don't have much experience swimming in salt water pools, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Pool calculator says I should replace 1/3 of my water to get down to 3400ppm... really hoping I have other options?

What is your location? Can you add that to your member profile?
Next, you need your own salinity test kit. The K1766. TFTestkits.net sells them.
I believe the Edge will shut down at 4500 ppm salt. So you may have to drain some.

If you live in an area where you get a lot of rain, just drain off an inch or two before a big rain. If you live in the desert like me, you will need to drain off water and get the salinity down to 4000 ppm or so. My salinity goes up over time due to evaporation and our fill water and the use of muriatic acid.

I'm in north Florida.

Ok, I'll order a test kit. There's a Pinch-a-Penny pool store pretty close to my house, so I figured I'd let them do the tests for free.

If the Edge shuts off at 4500ppm, the test results might not be right then. It's definitely producing chlorine - I've been testing that at various times throughout the day and it's been steadily going up.

Your owners manual with the Edge should tell you what salinity it turns off at. I could not find the manual on line.

Good that it is generating chlorine. If so, you can wait until you get some rain and drain off some water. You get rain where you live.

The manual doesn't mention a high salinity limit. There seems to only be a "low salt" indicator. It does mention salinity above 5500ppm can cause corrosion to pool fixtures though, so I think I'm getting uncomfortably close to that...

No rain in the forecast... but May is usually pretty wet around here.

I'm guessing you can wait it out for those Florida local rain storms to dilute it for you. If the salt was too high for the SWG, it would tell you and shut off. If you are really worried about it damaging the unit, just turn it off until you get some rain, and chlorinate with liquid chlorine. You already know how that dance goes. I don't think you will get much corrosion at 5000ppm .. Heck that is still less salty than your tears (7000) and when was the last time you corroded something by crying on it. :p ;) And it will only be for a few weeks until you get rain cloud overhead.

• Haha
Reactions: ajup2it
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.