New SWG and CYA level

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We just had our pool converted to a SWG at the same time as a new liner. I see the recommended CYA level is 70-80. Contractor installed a Hayward Aqua Rite 900 series which has a recommended CYA of 30-50. I talked to the installer today and mentioned that Trouble Free Pools recommends a higher CYA level. He disagreed and said to follow the manufacturers level especially since we have an auto cover which is closed much of the time. Supposedly not good to have higher FC levels in this scenario. Can anyone provide clarification and guidance on the optimum CYA? Thanks

In your case with the auto cover you can use the 30-50 range for CYA. You can use a minimum level of 2ppm for the FC.

Most pools are exposed to a lot of sunlight and running the CYA between 70-80 with a SWG is optimal for extending the lifespan of the cell and keeping the pool algae free if you follow the FC/CYA chart.

The minimum FC is 4.5% of the CYA for SWG pools. The target amount should be 1 to 2 points higher. For a CYA level of 40 there should be a minimum 1.8ppm and I would target 3 to 4ppm of FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.