Yzvessel1

May 25, 2021
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just setup my 10x30 Summer Waves pool. Shocked it already and have a 3inch puck currently maintaining chlorine level. The manual recommended a 1.8ppm level but I’m currently at 3.

No one has used the pool yet (set this up 3 days ago and waiting for water to warm up a bit). I’ve been rinsing the filter and am currently running the pump about 8 hours a day.

The start of day 2 I noticed a collection of small white “bubbles/floaters” all over the surface. The water is clear but can’t seem to figure out what these white things are? Would too much Chlorine do this?

Ive seen posts about film and foam but haven’t been able to locate an answer on what this is. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• 9C1CA3A1-2214-4B50-ACEB-CA0AF25A956A.jpeg
    9C1CA3A1-2214-4B50-ACEB-CA0AF25A956A.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 17
Can you post pics or a detailed description of what chemicals you put in the pool?

I have heard some of the bleach you get in the regular chemical aisles have additional chemicals in them that can cause foaming. I've never used the bleach with additives myself so I'm not sure what is really looks like though.

Can you post pics or a detailed description of what chemicals you put in the pool?

I have heard some of the bleach you get in the regular chemical aisles have additional chemicals in them that can cause foaming. I've never used the bleach with additives myself so I'm not sure what is really looks like though.
Sure thing! I am using HTH Super 3” Chlorinating Tablets 4-1. And when I shocked the pool, I used the HTH Super Shock Treatment.

I will say, I know my water is super hard. For drinking water we used a hefty amount of softener. But the outdoor water taps are not connected to the softener.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 10
  • E0FC449C-5D63-4D1A-A486-E62503D43586.jpeg
    E0FC449C-5D63-4D1A-A486-E62503D43586.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 9
You're off to a reasonably good start.
Please read up on care for your pool in Pool School - Trouble Free Pool . You can also click on the links in my signature.
You need to learn the ratio of FC to CYA for your chlorine levels. Also you will learn to know what you are putting in your pool based on what your water chemistry needs. Please invest in a good test kit. I and many others on this forum use TF-100 for testing and balancing our water.

What are the ingredients that make up the "4-in-1" pucks? It's important to know exactly what you're putting in the water. It could be a clarifier or floc that will cause floaters or can eventually gum up your filter.

Please test your water and post the results:
FC - free chlorine. TC - total chlorine is NOT important not matter what the pool store tells you :deal:
CC - combined chlorine (chloramines?)
pH
TA - total alkalinity.
CYA - cyanuric acid
CA - calcium, just for a base level. You do NOT need it for a vinyl pool no matter what the pool store tells you. :deal:
Phosphates again not important no matter what the pool store tells you.

Are you noticing a pattern here? TFP guidelines keep you out of the pool store and keeps you from putting unnecessary chemicals in your pool.
Here's to a great swimming season in your new pool.

Last edited:
Also please go to your profile and fill in what type of pool and equipment you are using. That way, anyone looking at your post knows at a glance what you have, instead of being asked that information numerous times. :snorkle:

Reactions: Yzvessel1
Whoa! After some additional research, I think you may be right. Having never had a pool before, I’ve never seen anything like this– I believe you’ve sent me onto my next journey… clean up. Thanks!
I was thinking maybe cottonwood— it’s snowing cotton wood poofs at my house right now.

I just want to say, I have this too in my pool which I just filled (MA). I also think it's pollen and just ordered a super fine net to scoop it up. I have an Intex 12' round and the filter is not getting it at all. Please post how you got it out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.