Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pump and filter are sucking a lot of air. I have tried all the DIY fixes at the pump and the lines above ground and have been unable to fix the problem. (Even had a pool company out to check it and they could not find an air leak above ground.) Next step is for pressure test/ leak detection which will be done this week. My current suction line is flexible PVC and I understand this is not used anymore in new swimming pools, so..... I may be looking at running a whole new suction line. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a ball park estimate for what I should expect to pay if i do end up replacing the entire suction line. Here are the details:
  • will need to cut and remove about 2' x 3' area of concrete and dig to get to bottom of skimmer
  • dig a trench about 40' from skimmer to a point where the pipe runs under a wooden deck
  • run about 75' of rigid PVC from the skimmer to the pump (about half of it above ground under the deck)
  • replace one ball valve and attach new line to pump
  • refill trench and replace concrete
Any ideas on what this repair will likely cost?

All depends on how hungry contractors are for business. I think you will find a wide range of quotes.

Costs vary widely around the country. Our recommendation is to get 3 to 5 quotes and see what your market is like. The difficult work is the digging and what your yard is like. Will it need to be hand dig to work around other things in the ground or can it be trenched with a machine? The PVC work is relatively easy by someone who knows what they are doing. Then backfill with gravel and concrete.

@jimmythegreek you willing to put a range of $ on this?

what does WAG mean
Typically it’s how the tabloids refer to the Wives-and- Girlfriends of football/soccer players who hang around on gameday updating their Insta/Snap from the arena.

In your case you’ll just have to take a wild azz guess...... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.