New St. Louis Pool * water August 1st!

Re: New St. Louis Pool

of course it could be to make extra money, at this point though I trust our PB to give us recommendations based on our needs not just them making money. the PB is actually a friend of a friend and has taken very good care of us so far, so I dont think he would steer me wrong.

I did a little research and the little I did, did say the same kind of costs... its not going to run as long or hard as a gas heater and the systems are really efficient from what I'm reading. The upfront cost is crazy though, 4 times gas and equal to solar from the one system I looked at. Solar didn't look like a great option because of accessibility to our roof.

I briefly reviewed this thread and may have missed it but it's important to note as you study and decide on a heating system, ALL is lost if you don't have a solar blanket on your pool each evening. A heat pump simply can't keep up and a gas heater will require a couple of bank loans when the bill comes in.

That's a fairly large pool and getting a cover on and then off of it when you want to swim should be added in to your thinking.

Inigo I build pools about 2 hours west of St Louis and we do sell a lot of Pentair heat pumps. They are efficient to operate. They will work well for what you are thinking. The heat pump will quit heating in the 50-55 degree range. The chiller option will work good. Keep in mind if the pool is over 40,000 gallons you are pushing the capacity of the unit. I would recommend an auto cover or a solar blanket at the least . As was mentioned above without a cover of some sort the heat pump won't do the early and late season.

Thank you for the advice, I don't think an auto cover is in the future of this already budget-busted project... But I'll make sure we have a solar cover. I have 4 kiddos, so I'll get some good help with the on/off process!

Concrete shell is in! Trenching for electric is done, coping work and boulder retaining wall to start this week.

I've just been uploading pics to the photobucket stream, if anyone knows a better way to fit pics from an iPad let me know. It keeps saying its too big.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you put the URL to the actual JPG in an IMG tag, you can embed as many pix in a post as you want like this:
Code:
[IMG]www.picturelocation.com/pic.jpg[/IMG]

This process is taking forever... anyone else have a pool builder swear that they could put in a pool in 3-4 weeks and instead it took 2 months? They certainly don't seem to have their stuff together, the sales guy tells me one thing and then the workers tell me another. my retaining wall took 2-3 weeks alone!
The worst part is, I know of three of their pool builds and each of them took 3-4 weeks... ugh!

should be done with water in it Wed or Thurs of next week, I would get excited if I wasn't sure that they would find a way to screw it up somehow. 6 weeks+ for a retaining wall and slide is just crazy to me, these guys really killed what should have been a fun project...

zephard said:
It looks really good. We are finding putting in a pool, even a small one, can be stressful.

Sorry to hear it but from what I have read it comes with the territory. We have been lucky (actually very lucky) with my build so far but I have the feeling it is just a matter of time before something comes up to add the stress to our build, too. :)

What did you decide on the heater, gas or electric? FYI, we went electric but we live near Dallas so much milder weather in the extended season plus we wanted the chiller to be able to set a max temp in the summer.

FirstPoolLastPool said:
zephard said:
It looks really good. We are finding putting in a pool, even a small one, can be stressful.

Sorry to hear it but from what I have read it comes with the territory. We have been lucky (actually very lucky) with my build so far but I have the feeling it is just a matter of time before something comes up to add the stress to our build, too. :)

What did you decide on the heater, gas or electric? FYI, we went electric but we live near Dallas so much milder weather in the extended season plus we wanted the chiller to be able to set a max temp in the summer.

That green air conditioning looking machine is an electric heat/cool pump. I don't have gas at my house and we would have had to run it to the house. I'll be ableto use it to open and close the pool a little earlier/later. It won't be as useful as in TX, but for may-sept, I think it'll be perfect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.