New spa- Why bother with Dichlor? Why not CYA and bleach

Welcome Kidneydoc: I notice that you are located in Vero Beach. I have lived in Vero (Indian River Shores), since 2009. Such a great community. Hope you and the family thoroughly enjoy the Swim Spa. Master Spas has been a very good customer of ours over the years. They are good people. Enjoy!

Hello. Do you work for or own Ahhsome? My name is Richard Handler. I am a phyisican here in town. I am a nephrologist (Hypertension, kidney disease, dialysis, etc.). My office used to be Vero Renal Associates. We merged with a larger company called Florida Kidney Physicians. I am new to spas, but had pools for many years and used the TFP methods. I got my spa up and running. Long story, but I have not done my first Ahhsome purge yet. My first fill was well water and it was dirty and lots of iron. I am upgrading my home water system so I have the capacity to fill spa with treated water. This should take care of this and only tradeoff will be to add Calcium back to water. I will use Ahhsome purge in a month or two, then use the weekly treatment as well going forward. I disabled my ozone / UV system as it adds too many variables. It is only my wife and I using spa, so I think the Ozone/UV will kill more FC than any benefit it may bring. So far, no problem with bleach / borax / bicarb / HCL / stablilizer TFP methods. I am going to add a Saltron Mini in the next few weeks. That should be be perfect. My spa loses about 1 ppm of FC each day, so the Saltron mini should be able to keep up with that for steady state control. Then just a bleach boost after each use.

I like the spa. I have to say the SouthEast Spas have been marginal in terms of customer service. They delivered the spa without the Axis cover (it was part of the contract and we were told it was in stock when we purchaced spa). After some complaining, the best they can do is deliver one in 3 more weeks. In the mean time, they did give us an older manual cover. When I called them, one of their staff told me "too bad, this is not our problem". I told the Master Spa home office about this, but not sure if anything will come of it.

Anyway, the spa is nice. It seems well designed. Thanks for your support!

Quick update summary:
1) Easy to disable ozone. Just pulled power cable off master circuit board and plugged venturi port on injector.
2) EcoPure filter easy to disable- I just cracked open the plastic inner case and pulled out the EcoPure filter insert. Trivial issue as i will disguard this one filter in a few months anyway
3) Amazon has replacement filters very inexpensive....can use the Non-Ecopure filter in both filter ports on tub

Thanks for all the help

To Kidneydoc: Yes, I am the president of Unique Solutions of Vero Beach. We have manufactured the Ahh-Some and other ancillary biofilm remediation products and cleaners for the last 15 years. I have many good Dr. Friends in the area who you must know. It is unfortunate that your dealer's customer service was deficient. I have been in the industry since 1969 and I know and have seen so may wasted opportunities for retailers to make a profound customer service difference that slips through their fingers. I hope you and the family enjoy many healthy and happy years with the swim spa. Remember to use a complete 2 ounce container of the Ahh-Some Gel for your purge. If you are going to purchase our Aqua Clarity Weekly Maintenance you can use that to purge as well but will need to use roughly 2-3 ounces of mixed and diluted product for each 100 gallons of water. It will work as well as the gel and you only need the one product. Hope to meet you someday.

I disabled my ozone / UV system as it adds too many variables. It is only my wife and I using spa, so I think the Ozone/UV will kill more FC than any benefit it may bring.

Hopefully I did the link correctly below ... it's (just) another perspective on how to decide if Ozone and UV are worth using. In this case silver ion is mentioned in sanitation, however, I still believe the comments suggest the combination of Ozone and UV can be put to good use?

Reactions: Newdude
I have a Bullfrog with EOS which is reasonably poweful, I can consume about 6-7 PPM of fc if I run at 24 hour filtration.
The feature I *really* wish the firmware had is the ability to say whether ozone is enabled or disabled for a given filter program. That way if I'm shocking or trying to clear CCs I can hit it hard and filter 24x7 with ozone, but on the flip side if water and filter are clean and I'm going out of town and just trying to circulate water, I can run short filtration cycles with no ozone and not worry about rapid fc depletion while away. Or I can program something in the middle during the week, like a short afternoon no-ozone filtration cycle that gets stuff out of the water before bathing, and a late night filtration cycle with ozone that would help break down any bathing contaminants.
But I guess I'm a nerd like that

I'm contemplating wiring in a cutoff toggle switch that I can velcro into the front panel and have the toggle poke out one of my panel vents. I figure I can even get a DPST lighted switch so that with the neutral an indicator light tells me when it's on, and know that I'm breaking both ends of the connection. Haven't poked around at the EOS generator to look at the voltage parameters I need for the switch though, and whether I would want to ground the switch to make sure a GFI will trip if there is an issue like a loose connector.

Did you ever do this?

I would love to be able to control my Ozone in my Bullfrog as well. I agree, it would be great if they had built this sort of stuff into the firmware.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.