New Solar-Breeze questions

New to this thread, and hoping to get some help with my 1-year old Solar Breeze...
I’ve been using my robot for almost a year now – performs flawlessly. When out of town, I always remove the unit from the pool and clean it thoroughly. On my most recent visit to my Florida home, I’m getting a flashing red light (one per second), indicating the rear paddle is jammed – but it is not, it is completely clear and free to rotate in either direction. It is also fully charged. The unit operates for a few seconds, then the right light begins to flash. The rear paddle gears seem to be meshing just fine - but I can’t seem to get rid of the red light. Any help? Thanks.

you can call them to explain whats happening to see what they think what might be wrong.

If the unit is still in warranty period they will email you a return shipping label to send it back. they will test it out and repair/replace any part not performing. they can also reload the firmware in case the problem is circuit board related. you'll have the unit back within about a week to 10 days or so depending on the severity of the repair. The original units are now about a year and half old so many will be in need of maintenance of some sort or another. they also offer an extended 2 year warranty that will cover any needed repair including return shipping cost.

Mine is doing the same thing. On for seconds then stops and get the red light in the center. Called solar breeze and did some trouble shooting. They asked me to turn it over, flip it on and look at both paddles front and rear. On mine only the rear turned. Tech said both should be turning. They said the front paddle motor is shot causing the device to shut down. Had to buy a new front motor for the paddle, about 45.00 if they ship it to me and I install. Device is about 1 1/2 years old. I feel it should have lasted longer.

Had my solar breeese for about a year when one of the paddles stopped working. Sent it in for repair. Here’s what I figured happened.

The solar breeze is not water proof. It’s highly water resistant, but water does get into the cavities and does touch the motors. The motors are resistant as long as they are not submerged to a certain point, but they do fail from time to time.

So eventually you will have to replace a motor. They aren’t much lucky and you can diy it.

Still love my breeze, but take it out of the pool if you expect a large rain and set it sideways to drain.

You are correct sir, the unit is not water proof. It is designed to allow water to enter the pontoon (lower gray half). The working parts are however water proof, that is they can operate in a water environment. The failure, after 1 1/2 years is, in my opinion, an issue. I would imagine that the unit should have been able to operate with a longer mean time between failure since the rear motor is still turning.

So I had to buy a new front motor. They changed the suppliers for some parts and there was a work-around for intergrating this motor to the original wiring harness. While digging around the insides of the solar breeze NX I noticed that some things just are not holding up well in the Texas sun and heat. The wheels are some things that will need replacing soon, the body of the pontoon section is showing some cracking, I have read that the battery will probably need replacing at the two year mark or so...Problem is that a new unit costs what, 550.00 and all those replacement parts may cost what, half the cost of a new unit...Is it worth replacing all those parts or just getting a new unit (or forgetting about solar breeze all together)? Im not crazy about the solar breeze, I always thought it could be improved, a plug for charging on those cloudy days, how it reverses itself when stuck (its weak), and in my opinion and I sent it back once for this issue, I always thought it reversed itself more than going forward (software issue)?

I just think that for a pool environment it should have a longer warranty 2 or 3 years like other pool robots (Polaris or Maytronics) not just 1 year. Just my .02 cents, its working again but who knows for how long!

Reactions: BowserB
So I had to buy a new front motor. They changed the suppliers for some parts and there was a work-around for intergrating this motor to the original wiring harness. While digging around the insides of the solar breeze NX I noticed that some things just are not holding up well in the Texas sun and heat. The wheels are some things that will need replacing soon, the body of the pontoon section is showing some cracking, I have read that the battery will probably need replacing at the two year mark or so...Problem is that a new unit costs what, 550.00 and all those replacement parts may cost what, half the cost of a new unit...Is it worth replacing all those parts or just getting a new unit (or forgetting about solar breeze all together)? Im not crazy about the solar breeze, I always thought it could be improved, a plug for charging on those cloudy days, how it reverses itself when stuck (its weak), and in my opinion and I sent it back once for this issue, I always thought it reversed itself more than going forward (software issue)?

I just think that for a pool environment it should have a longer warranty 2 or 3 years like other pool robots (Polaris or Maytronics) not just 1 year. Just my .02 cents, its working again but who knows for how long!

you could try :

https://www.skimdevil.com/

and let us know how it compares

you could try :

https://www.skimdevil.com/

and let us know how it compares
I haven't had any issues (1 Texas summer), but I wouldn't invest anymore in it. It works fine, but it's not as fast as just using a leaf net. For $550 it should last at least 3 years.

That skim devil looks nice, does it really move as fast as that video? No way I'd spend $850 without a 5 year warranty. It also looks like a poor design with opening only towards the center. 80% of my leaves are at the edges of the pool. Doesn't look like this would pick up any of them. The solar breeze gets closer, but still misses the edges.

I'm much happier with my aquabot 4wd, leaf cover, and leaf net.

Solar Breeze - Aquabot 4WD - TFP

Ya know, 700 for another surface skimmer with a 1 year warranty? Naw, thanks anyway. Until the units can clean the leaves off the tile line (none can do that now), until the warranty equals that of submersible robots (they don't), and until they seem more robust, this may be my last surface skimmer....They do ok for leaves in the middle of the pool but come up short elsewhere. I have read this thread and see that folks had to customize their pools so that the robot worked better...What! Robots are supposed to make my life easer, not make me wonder if my water level is ok, if there are other cables in the pool, whether the thing can back out of my skimmer opening, cause me to skim manually anyway because all the leaves migrated to the tile line, etc....

Ya know, 700 for another surface skimmer with a 1 year warranty? Naw, thanks anyway. Until the units can clean the leaves off the tile line (none can do that now), until the warranty equals that of submersible robots (they don't), and until they seem more robust, this may be my last surface skimmer....They do ok for leaves in the middle of the pool but come up short elsewhere. I have read this thread and see that folks had to customize their pools so that the robot worked better...What! Robots are supposed to make my life easer, not make me wonder if my water level is ok, if there are other cables in the pool, whether the thing can back out of my skimmer opening, cause me to skim manually anyway because all the leaves migrated to the tile line, etc....
Well said. My water level has to be 1" low, and I have a piece of plastic velcroed over the top 1/3 of my skimmer. It might take it a day to fill up with leaves, takes me 2 minutes to scoop out twice as many.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, I am just starting my 2nd year with a Solar Breeze NX. I love the thing dearly as it has really saved my pool from the dreadful pine and fir trees nearby. (Along with skimmer socks) I have had absolutely no problems to date, other than it devouring a cheap thermometer hanging from a cleat at the side of the pool. The biggest challenge is my steps! The Solar Breeze drifts over the steps and cannot seem to back out. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on a fix? I thought of putting a length of small-diameter PVC pipe covered by a foam noodle across the steps where it gets stuck, but not sure if that would do the job. Help!!

I would call Solar Breeze and talk to them. Their customer service is very good. I had a similar problem and had to increase my water level slightly so that the Solar Breeze was definitely FLOATING over the steps, not scraping on them. I had to not increase the water level too much or it would wedge under the pool coping.

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to say, I had a frustrating problem with my skimmer and eventually I settled on using a strip of duct tape across the mouth of the skimmer above the water line and the Breeze just bounces off now and keeps going. How wide are your steps?

Hi, I am just starting my 2nd year with a Solar Breeze NX. I love the thing dearly as it has really saved my pool from the dreadful pine and fir trees nearby. (Along with skimmer socks) I have had absolutely no problems to date, other than it devouring a cheap thermometer hanging from a cleat at the side of the pool. The biggest challenge is my steps! The Solar Breeze drifts over the steps and cannot seem to back out. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on a fix? I thought of putting a length of small-diameter PVC pipe covered by a foam noodle across the steps where it gets stuck, but not sure if that would do the job. Help!!
I velcoed a piece of plastic to top 2" of my skimmer to keep it from getting stuck in it. If your pool lip has an overhang that allows a noodle to stick under it, you might try putting a noodle around your steps so it runs into it and turns. I have to have my pool level 1" below center of tile to keep it from getting stuck under the lip. Gets stuck after a rain. Leaf rake is much better after big leaf fall, but Solar Breeze is great for most of the summer.

Follow up after slightly more than a year since purchase. Not happy. Front gear started making clicking noise, so I decided to take it apart to see problem. Very small plastic pinion gear stripped. Also the bottom half is not well sealed. Algea growing, looks sick. For $500 this thing should last much longer. Gears that small should be stainless. Bottom should be blow molded so totally sealed. Scooping debree out with a net is faster.
c37f75a260e41cc1517f24e5fe8bd0b5.jpg
a6b7094f53fbf8928e9e7357c3207369.jpg

Huh...I've had mine for quite a bit longer and have had the opposite experience. It's been very good even with large and small debris. When I have had clicking, it's been due to sticks and such stuck in front turbine because it's picking up such large stuff sometimes they jut out over the front of the debris tray and the turbine clicks against them.

I actually just got the new version and gave my old one to my brother-in-law who's had troubles with bugs on his pool.

Did you call for support before taking apart? Is all of that algae normal for you?

Last edited:
Huh...I've had mine for quite a bit longer and have had the opposite experience. It's been very good even with large and small debris. When I have had clicking, it's been due to sticks and such stuck in front turbine because it's picking up such large stuff sometimes they jut out over the front of the debris tray and the turbine clicks against them.

I actually just got the new version and gave my old one to my brother-in-law who's had troubles with bugs on his pool.

Did you call for support before taking apart? Is all of that algae normal for you?
I sent an email earlier today. Probably a stuck stick that caused the stripped gear, so it's a constant clicking, and tenders to go in circles since only one motor is doing the pulling. Hopefully they can send me a new part. What's the "new" version? Thinking mine is.

Pool seldom has algae.

They came out with a new version this spring with a few improvements. I think it’s called the NX2. Still, I’ve had stuck sticks for days (or longer when it happened when we were out of town) with no lasting damage, even on the NX.

They came out with a new version this spring with a few improvements. I think it’s called the NX2. Still, I’ve had stuck sticks for days (or longer when it happened when we were out of town) with no lasting damage, even on the NX.
Yeah, just read about the differences in the web site. Upgrades seem to address all the issues I have. New drive for quieter operation, better sealed, better materials. Maybe they'll let me trade-in for a much reduced cost...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.