New Semi-inground pool install

Well with excavation almost done we ran into a HUGE snag, we have found a large tree stump. I had a tree service come out and take a look and because the rest of the pool is already dug out and the tree stump is at the bottom they cant get a stump grinder in there so hes not sure what he can do without bringing in some major excavation equipment which would be $$. He reccommended I smother it in kerosene for a few days and essentially build a bonfire on it and it should take care of it. Im a little nervouse about this method but the area surrounding the stump is still soaking wet so that may be an option.

Thoughts?

Well I wasnt sure if we would have enough room from the pool to the house if we moved the pool but it looks like we barely do. I spent the day today digging out another 2 feet on the opposite side. It just seemed like a better option than burning but I may still try to burn the stump anyway. We now only will have just over 6' from the closest part of the pool to the house. Code is 6' so it looks like we made it but very close.

Our only concern now is our pool is a little more in the shade at noon than we wanted but like a said earlier we may burn out the stump or we can just have some of our trees trimmed like we had considered anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why you can't wheel a stump grinder in there? Make a little ramp and wheel it in, you can rent one from Home Depot.

While that might have worked, I wasnt sure how heavy stump grinders are and I was concerned with pushing it back out of the hole (if its not self driven). It probably looks like the hole is shallower than it is but it seems much deeper in person than it does in the photos.

The stump grinders I am talking about are about the size of a small rototiller, they even have lift handles on them (easy to lift into the back of a pickup). :)

Ok im not too familiar with them but when I called my local rental facility they said the stump grinder came with its own trailer and required a 1/2 ton pickup truck to tow it. Sounded very big and heavy.

here is an easy way, buy a chainsaw and cut that stump into squares and cut it out.. :)

Amazon.com : Factory Reconditioned Homelite ZR43120 16-Inch 12 Amp Chain Saw With Automatic Oiler (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Chainsaw : Patio, Lawn Garden

it will get dirty and the chain will get dull but who cares... BE Careful, using chainsaws this way they can "jump" do it slow and take your time... basically your using it as a stump grinder the old fashioned way :)

while the sound is crazzzy, here ya go... Stump Removal With A Chain Saw - Part two - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.