New Semi In Ground Pool Build

Ok so we started digging....

We found trash and tree stumps....
IMG_20200502_101953.jpgIMG_20200502_102426.jpgIMG_20200502_131856.jpg
Cutting the hill away for the eventual retainage wall, fence and edge walk around. IMG_20200502_132309.jpg
Laid out and working on leveling.
I was within 3 inches on every connector. Not too bad with a single line laser and a 2x4

IMG_20200503_144437.jpg
The upper section is sloped back toward the hill and water will drain away from the pool.
IMG_20200503_165917.jpg
I still have some more leveling to accomplish. It is slow going at the moment.

I have been diagnosed with Mono. I thought I had the COVID but nope mono. Kiddo brought it home from school, gave it to the wife, then to me..
I feel like I have been hit by a big rig.

I have a local guy who has decided to put it in for me. He is only charging the labor for himself and 3 guys. I hate to pay it but I don't want to stare at a hole for 3 months.
He is just putting in the pool, liner, and hard plumbing the pump. I can do the rest.

I can now focus on the retaining wall, fence and deck now.

I am doing a combo retaining wall fence on the back section.
board_on_board_fence_on_ret_wall.jpg
Here is my idea.
I am going to use 6x6 treated lumber for the posts every 5 feet for the retaining wall, and 2x6's for the main hold.
Stained a darker orange red will look awesome.
Cheaper than cross ties, stone, pavers etc.... Should last 30 plus years.

I'm still debating on suing the contractor and builder. It was not disclosed that I had construction trashed buried in the back yard.
Some thing that should of been in the closing agreements. Either way it didnt cost much to remove what I did. I may just eat it and smile.

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_165917.jpg
    IMG_20200503_165917.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: mariane
Ok so Wednesday is the day of install. This mono is for the birds. I'm tired all the time. Staring at a hole in the ground till summers' end is not going over well with me
I leveled out the bottom plates and rails. That took me 3 hours. It should of been an easy hour worth of work. I had to take frequent breaks. Still either way not too bad for a laser level and 2x4.
I know the bottom rails are not 100% level but the pavers need to go in and then we can check for level.

I also somehow mixed in some grass into the sand. I guess I grabbed a little too much dirt when moving with the backhoe. I bought some grass/nutsedge killer to put down once the sand is level.
IMG_20200509_154312.jpg

have been diagnosed with Mono. I thought I had the COVID but nope mono. Kiddo brought it home from school, gave it to the wife, then to me..
I feel like I have been hit by a big rig.
NOT fun! This is the one thing I never got in my 35 yrs of teaching thank goodness!! It is HARD and long to overcome. Listen to your body and rest often.......drink as much water as you can handle to help wash it out of your body.

I hate to pay it but I don't want to stare at a hole for 3 months.
With your Mono this is for the best. Hurts the wallet but helps the body heal.

Kim:kim:

NOT fun! This is the one thing I never got in my 35 yrs of teaching thank goodness!! It is HARD and long to overcome. Listen to your body and rest often.......drink as much water as you can handle to help wash it out of your body.

With your Mono this is for the best. Hurts the wallet but helps the body heal.

Kim:kim:
Agreed. I can't enjoy the pool dead or in bed. I can do the retaining wall, fence, and deck though.

It is now installed. Water is going in as we speak

IMG_20200512_192726.jpg
Hand dug the shallow end. Used the hand tiller to break up the red clay. Water, wait 5min, water, wait 5 min, then till.
IMG_20200513_150657.jpg
Wall is up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_171212.jpg
    IMG_20200513_171212.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200513_190113.jpg
    IMG_20200513_190113.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200514_175942.jpg
    IMG_20200514_175942.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200515_072209.jpg
    IMG_20200515_072209.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Love
Reactions: mariane
If your nerves can take it keep going BUT keep a VERY close eye on that part of the liner. Once it gets to 2 inches of liner left then STOP and re think your plans.

John has a VERY good question too!!! If the liner is not tight to the wall then things need to be changed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you start with an expandable liner since you have a deep end? Is it a Doughboy liner?
If it is, they require you stretch it in order to make it fit in the deep end.
Is it an overlap or beaded liner?
Here are pics at the start of our overlap liner stretch for the deep end. I know it looks extreme, but that is how Doughboy instructions have you install it. It took a couple tries till I got it right but that was because it had wrinkles. Here's a video.
start at ~ 1:40.

DSCF0846 ed resz.JPG
DSCF0848 resz.JPG

Pool guy came by. We are good to continue filling. It is now 8 inches below the skimmer and no new movement.

This weekend I was very busy. Best I have felt in weeks. I either have the post in the ground set.
I will finish it up this week.IMG_20200518_072637.jpgIMG_20200518_072635.jpg

Look's great.
Since the water is up that high on the wall, the liner will probably not stretch any more. Don't cut the opening until the water level is near the bottom of the skimmer opening. Use a butterfly gasket and sandwich it between the liner and the outside of the wall. So it looks like this from inside the pool: skimmer plate, gasket, liner, pool wall, gasket, skimmer. Doughboy's instructions.
If you install the gasket on either side of the pool wall only - it will leak and down the road cause rust on the inside of the wall.

Yes. I read that section 3 different times. My pool guy is scheduled is come back and do the skimmer and return cuts. I will make sure he follows those instructions.

I set 40 posts. I just counted them. Wow.... I said I would set the hardest ones... 2 trips to Lowe's later......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.