New Semi Above Ground Build

Ansomnia

Jun 24, 2022
KY
I have spent many hours researching how to level ground correctly. I am really frustrated about leveling the ground, adding 2 inches of crushed rock, leveling again, then digging to put put pavers under the upright support, leveling it again, digging to add supports, releveling and measuring the support placement, only to add sand, and leveling again. This process lost me about there!

Is there any reason I can't place my pavers and crushed rock at the same time? Is there a simpler way to get the supports in correctly? Am I missing something?

Reactions: trishdevore
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I think you're just in the tedious portion of the install. No doubt being level is critical. Frustrating as well. :brickwall: What tools are you using to achieve level? Maybe post a pic or two of your progress. Maybe we'll see something to help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I think you're just in the tedious portion of the install. No doubt being level is critical. Frustrating as well. :brickwall: What tools are you using to achieve level? Maybe post a pic or two of your progress. Maybe we'll see something to help.
The first step was someone with a really big truck with a bucket and a fancy laser level. To think, when I started this I sent my boys out with shovels. Bahaha!

The guy had to come out twice because the first time he built one side up instead of going to the lowest level. His thinking was that his machine is super heavy and that's how houses are built. Ooopppss.

Step two was gravel delivery and a good old fashioned rake, hose, and plate compactor. My Amazon laser level should be delivered this afternoon.16560705014084234910978272345221.jpg

Reactions: Texas Splash
Sorry I'm just getting to this reply. But I'd fill and pack that one down. It should be fine.
Thanks!
Sorry I'm just getting to this reply. But I'd fill and pack that one down. It should be fine.
Thanks! Digging day 2. Sand delivery will be this afternoon. Now to learn how to use an ancient plate compactor 🤪20220625_074704.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have spent many hours researching how to level ground correctly. I am really frustrated about leveling the ground, adding 2 inches of crushed rock, leveling again, then digging to put put pavers under the upright support, leveling it again, digging to add supports, releveling and measuring the support placement, only to add sand, and leveling again. This process lost me about there!

Is there any reason I can't place my pavers and crushed rock at the same time? Is there a simpler way to get the supports in correctly? Am I missing something?
Ok....day 4 I am digging the paver trenches and I can't get the darn things level! I have a flat head shovel and ended up trying to use a garden trowel. I spent two hours slowly attempting to level this one single paver. Its still not level and I gave up for the day. How do I do this more effectively tomorrow?😢

Pavers usually level best when you dig a bit deeper than you need then add some sand or paver base material first. You can easily manipulate that stuff before placing the paver on it, plus it's better for the paver to be on. Are you doing that or just cutting and setting the paver directly into the soil?

Pavers usually level best when you dig a bit deeper than you need then add some sand or paver base material first. You can easily manipulate that stuff before placing the paver on it, plus it's better for the paver to be on. Are you doing that or just cutting and setting the paver directly into the soil?
Yeah, I added Mason sand under the paver to try to get it level. I just don't want to add too much.

I used one of these to scrape down the last bit. The squared edge digs nicely and the smooth edge trowels flat. Tedious, but it worked for me.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Ansomnia
I can't get my buttresses level to the ground!

I had my pool area professionally excavated.

I finally got the right side buttresses level in my heavy clay soil...which took me weeks of very long days digging slowly and sometimes using a garden trowel.

I chose to put the supports are on top of pavers as recommended by the manufacturer.

The problem is one end buttresses contacts the ground fine and on the far end the curved piece is about two inches above the ground.

Can I compact mason sand to fix this?

Someone please tell me not to dig those buttresses down further. My hands are covered in blisters already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.