New season new technique

Bob Marchese

Mar 19, 2021
New York 11778
So we live in NY where the winter is cold but finally over! Yay.
Starting 3rd season with an 16x32 oval above ground vinyl pool with sand filter.
Have been using pool store to do testing.
Last year at closing time for winter the cya reading from pool store was 149.
Yea I have been using tabs for chlorination.
So I purchased the TF-100 test kit cause I really want things to go well this year.
So it’s a kinda overwhelming kit with all the vials and reagents included!
Anyway my question is...do I trust the store test and blindly dump half the water and refill to get the cya down before I add chlorine,
Or should I peel back the winter cover, grab a sample and test for cya first?
Liquid chlorine is what I should probably use this season if I can find any. Lowe’s has some for $4.50 gallon.
Not bad I guess.
What would you do?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi, welcome to TFP! First thing is to open up the pool for the season, top off the water, make sure all the winter plugs are removed and everything is connected properly, then run the pump for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes collect your sample and test the water. Post your results here and we can guide you in the next steps you need to take.

You don't want to blindly trust an old test result, especially from a pool store, as your water chemistry will change over the winter and even if the results were accurate then, they are not now. There is some water exchange with draining to winterize and the addition of rain and snow melt over the winter that will effect all your test results.

Welcome Bob!
Do just Like Zea said & always test first (w/ your test kit) before making any changes to water chemistry 🧪 . Don’t be overwhelmed by the kit just do 1 test at a time as per the instructions on the laminated card & record the results. You’ll be a pro in no time.
Here’s some instructional videos if you need some reassurance

Don’t be overwhelmed by the kit just do 1 test at a time as per the instructions
And only look at one set of instructions at a time. The card is intimidating as a glance. Specifically read any given test's steps and they are stupid easy. But only look at your current test. Or else it's all in French. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88