New Sand filter putting sand in my pool.

Thebybeebunch

May 9, 2020
Ft Mitchell Alabama
We bought a new pool and sand filter a few months ago. When we first starting using it there was a small amount of sand in the bottom of the pool but I wasn't sure it was the filter as it was new. I thought it was the kids bringing it in as there is sand/dirt ground around the pool still. Well its definitely the filter. My husband redid some plumbing and added a fountain and while doing this, took the top off the filter but accidentally pulled the laterals up with it. So we emptied and replaced the sand. I inspected all the laterals and cleaned all the sand from the inside before putting it back in and back together. None of the laterals were cracked or damaged but I noticed they are made with slats in them. I am sure the sand is small enough to pass through these therfore going into the pool. I dont know alot about sand filters and am still learning. Any idea how to stop this sand from getting in my pool? Its worse now since replacing the sand. I just vacuumed about 3/4 a cup out of the pool.

Laterals have those small slits in them for the water to pass. The sand, if indeed #20 silica pool sand, should not pass through those slits, however there are a couple brands out there that we have learned are a bit troublesome. What type of sand did you purchase?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.