New Saltwater pool, when to add quemicals and on what order

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Puerto Rico
I have a 18k galon pool that i am building right now, it should be ready early August. I have been reading that I need to wait about 15-30 days in order to let the new plaster cure before adding salt. I did some research around but I am finding different answers. My questions are as follows:

1. What should I add first after filling water? (my guess is CYA)
2. Should I raise my CYA to 30-40 before converting to saltwater?
3. Should I raise CYA to 60-70 before or AFTER converting to salt?
4. When should I correct PH, CH, Alkalinity levels? After or before CYA? (from my research is after and in that order).

Good morning! :wave: For your questions:
1 - Yes; but also add some chlorine (regular bleach). Day 1 FC of about 3 ppm, after that, balance as a non-salt pool as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
2 - Yes; raise it later
3 - At the same time. Once you add the salt, teh new stabilizer shouold be soaking as well.
4 - Immediately - day 1. PH will most important. TA can be a bit more gradual.

Also see Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool

In Maryland, if the pool is not ready for salt until September, would it be best to just skip the salt and manage with liquid chlorine until you close the pool for the winter? Just a thought .

In Maryland, if the pool is not ready for salt until September, would it be best to just skip the salt and manage with liquid chlorine until you close the pool for the winter? Just a thought .
I think you are right, maybe I should just winterize the pool on September and open it on May, I really wanted to test the system to make sure everything was working right. Would salt provide any benefit during winter?

It wouldn’t provide any benefit, but I am with you I would want to test the system before next season. Since you have a heater, I would go ahead and keep the pool open to enjoy.

My pool does not have a heater, but with a solar cover on it I was swimming up until mid Oct last year in MD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.