L.A. CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I'm on my 11th day of water in my new pool waiting for my 30 days to be done so I can add the salt. Iph has been going up over the last week from seven four two very close to 8.0 10 days later. The score professional said I should not worry about it too much until I add the salt as that will have an effect on it

Currently:
Free Chlorine- .06
PH- 8.0
CYA-70
ALK-100
CH-110

Again I have added no salt yet as I'm waiting for the 30 day. To complete and the store personnel as noted that I should not worry about these readings that they're okay wait until the salt is added.

I'm thinking I should add some muriatic acid just to bring it down nobody swimming in it right now.

Thought I'd ask for some advice here thank you in advance.

Jedisparky

21,000 gal with 2000 gal Spa with spill over

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Wow, I typed that really bad, I don't see an edit button, sorry about that. Hope the point is clear enough. Looks like a great group to help me get my pool started. Thanks again.

Welcome!

What does your PB have to say? Is he still managing startup, or are you on your own? Is there certain levels that need to be maintained for warranty compliance?

Wow, I typed that really bad, I don't see an edit button, sorry about that. Hope the point is clear enough. Looks like a great group to help me get my pool started. Thanks again.

Jed,

Just wanted to say Welcome to TFP... A Great place for those that can't type... :laughblue:

If typing and spelling skills were required, I would not be allowed to post anything...

I agree with Dom, unless your PB has turned the pool over to you, I would not do anything without talking with him first... The likelihood of you causing any damage is almost zero, but you don't want to give your PB any excuses.

If you have a good relationship with him, give him a call and tell him your concerns. If you do, we would be interested in his response.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

They pretty much turned it over to me but you do have a good point they will answer questions I'm sure the problem is he sub-contracted everything out and my startup guy is also a subcontractor he'd probably be the one I'll call I'll do that and see what he says.

What kind of finish is it? If it is a pebble aggregate, I would make sure that you are following the manufacturer's instructions to be sure that you don't get scaling. Pebble-tec sends a specific set of instructions once you register the surface.

Right that would help. White plaster. I spoke to the guy who did the startup he said he had a gallon of muriatic acid and a half gallon of chlorine so I believe that's what I will do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I've been doing a lot of studying online with how to add the chemicals and how to test the chemicals I have a really good test kit the Taylors and I will be super cautious I'm planning to do all my maintenance myself and places like this have really helped a lot

There is no need to dilute the muriatic acid first, simply slowly pour the MA in front of a running return & brush the area when you are done. Handling the MA twice will just increase your chances of splash/spill.

Whichever you do, it is most important that you remain upwind from the acid. The fumes are terrible.

Hey guys, just a quick up date: my first time adding chemicals to my pool in an effort to maintenance and care for my new pool myself went very well. Thanks to you and this site, so much good info here. So I added a gallon of MA as well as a gallon of bleach, then the next day added 15lbs of Calcium while running the pump at high rpm's for good circulation. Here was my testing results:

Water Temp 69
FC-1
PH 7.6
CYA 70
ALK 80
CH 270

And the water is sparkling blue! I'm around day 20 of my 30 days of plaster curing and pre-salt add. Then the learning curve begins with my InteliChlor IC40.

Feeling really good about my self maintenance routine, thanks again for the help and support. The help and support is much appreciated.

Jed,

Please see this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Your FC is waaaaay too low. The absolute lowest you every want your FC to be would be 3 ppm. If you look in the chart... with a CYA off 70, you want your FC to be around 5.

I always try to stay just above the target level, so I would be shooting for a normal FC of 6. This helps keep you from ever getting down to 3...

When you get a chance, please add your signature, it makes helping you easier...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, Jim thanks. Ya, I should have stated that that was my low score, which I am aware. I plan on adding another gallon of Chlorine to bring that number up. I was using the Pool Pal calculator and it said 3 to 5. I was targeting 4 and was told if it's a little low it's okay because I haven't added my salt yet.
I'm doing most of my contributing from my phone and unfortunately it won't let me type a signature from my phone. As soon as I get to my laptop I will post everything for my pool including equipment. Thanks again for all your input and help.

Also it's seems the more I read the more I find some different info. I read this on the the forum under SWG: "
Adjust Calcium Hardness to 350 ppm for plaster and 220 ppm for fiberglass. Vinyl pools are OK if the CH is at 50 ppm or higher. In any case it should not be much above 400 ppm or you are going to have to keep close watch on your pH to prevent scale buildup. Sometimes your fill water will have high calcium levels so your numbers are higher than recommended"
So I was happy to get my CH to 270 and now I see I want to be @ 400!?!? Wow! That's a lot. Our water is VERY soft here, and with a new plaster pool is 270 really low? Should I really be looking for 400?
Thanks in advance.

What is the CH of your fill water?

270 should be fine - depending on how much CH is in your fill water, that number should generally go up as water evaporates from the pool over time and is replaced with more tap water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.