New Radiant Pool on Hill / Slope

Jun 4, 2014
Fawn Grove, PA
After four years of being told it wasn't possible to put a pool on my hill (not without TWO $8,000 retaining walls)... I finally discovered Radiant pools. There aren't many photos out there on the internet of pools being built into hills so I would like to share mine. It was just put in two weeks ago... and we have A LOT of work to do in the yard, so please excuse all of my dirt. I was skeptical and paranoid throughout the whole process, but I have to say my installer did an amazing job. Anyway, just wanted to share in case someone out there is looking for a solution to putting a pool on their hilly backyard and don't have $20,000 for retaining walls!

The pictures really don't do the hill justice - meaning it doesn't look as bad as it is. Basically, the ground was 59" off-level... and with the pool wall height of 52", plus needing 6" to stick out of the ground for water run-off purposes.... they had to dig down pretty deep and do some pretty hefty landscaping back around it.

We plan on enclosing beneath our existing deck with lattice to hide the propane tanks and other storage from view. We also plan on building a lower deck in front of the existing deck that will be level with the pool. As you can see in the last picture, we're working on a black aluminum fence surrounding the area. So much to do!

IMG_4033_zps91c7c148.jpg

IMG_4047_zps3154cf2f.jpg

IMG_4060_zps269ae51f.jpg

IMG_4067_zpsf90dc706.jpg

IMG_4068_zpsc777da8a.jpg

IMG_4084_zps5b46f260.jpg

IMG_4086_zpsb0d634b4.jpg

IMG_4089_zps8b71369a.jpg

IMG_4100_zpsfab9391b.jpg

IMG_4122_zps1f307e97.jpg

IMG_4131_zps4a71ec5d.jpg

IMG_4134_zps7df4f82e.jpg

IMG_4140_zps239ac600.jpg

:D

Beautiful pool! And thanks for sharing. I've got a similar hilly situation and am considering an installation like yours. We actually had a retaining wall built to level some land close to the house to use for a seasonal pool. Now that my daughter is seven we are considering a more permanent pool. Is there something about Radiant pools that makes them better suited to being half in-ground than other brands? The slope of our yard isn't nearly as much as yours but siting the pool is complicated due to a buried power line to the house and the septic system. Additionally the pool site will be almost 100 feet from the house. Not an ideal situation so we'll see. I really like the size of the pool you chose. Not fancy but roomy enough for lots of fun and games! If you don't mind me asking can you provide a ballpark cost? Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome Lauren. I slayed my Pennsylvania hillside last year with my Sharkline Venture. You can see my build here :lookhere: Rounding the corner to an above ground pool build. I could look over my pool wall and see where I cut out the hillside. We're deck building right now after removing more hillside.

Poolaid - We went with the Radiant because of how steep our hill is. They are specifically designed to be partially or fully inground and are ideal for a slope. We went to many pool stores who all informed us that we would need a retaining wall, and their pools could not be backfilled as much as we needed. The total cost of the pool was $18,000. That included the pool, installation, excavation, backfilling, the pump and filter. They also did the "recommended but not required" concrete barrier around the base. The same size doughboy would have cost $12,000, then would have needed at LEAST a $10,000 retaining wall, and then who knows how much for a deck (we were quoted $5,000 for a tiny 8x8' deck). There is NO way I was spending $30,000 on an above ground pool. I found Radiant pools by doing research online looking for a pools on steep slopes and it just so happened a pool company a few miles up the road from me sold them. I'm delighted so far. They have insulation in between the 2 layers of walls and it definitely helps keep the pool temperature perfect! Hasn't dropped below 80 yet... usually in the 82-88 range. Plus they have a lifetime warranty against winter damage... which I thought was a good thing for me as our ground freezes in winter and most of the pool is in the ground.

Casey- Your pool looks fantastic! I'm so amazed by all of the work you did yourself! I'm a big sissy and had all of the excavation and building done professionally. Our ground is entirely composed of ROCKS. Some so big that I couldn't even lift them out of the ground myself. It took us FOREVER to dig the hole posts for our fence. We've finished putting gravel around the edge and mulched the rest of the pool yard. I planted exactly 7 plants on Sunday and it took me about 3 hours. My ground SUCKS. We've decided that we're going to have to wait until next year to do a deck. It's been so much work landscaping. It seems like we're exactly a year behind you! I will post more pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Hubby bought a post hole digger at Lowes and it's been a lifesaver getting through our clay!

We were able to take our time with it and not rush through with a rental. The post hole digger was way worth the money spent!

Can't wait to see your pics! I'll be adding plants next year once the deck is completed. It'll give me time to save up some money over the winter. :mrgreen:

Doughboy Pools are rated for burial so you could have gotten away with one. Just saying. They are top of the line above ground pools that can be buried. :goodjob:

Hubby bought a post hole digger at Lowes and it's been a lifesaver getting through our clay!

We were able to take our time with it and not rush through with a rental. The post hole digger was way worth the money spent!

Can't wait to see your pics! I'll be adding plants next year once the deck is completed. It'll give me time to save up some money over the winter. :mrgreen:

Doughboy Pools are rated for burial so you could have gotten away with one. Just saying. They are top of the line above ground pools that can be buried. :goodjob:

I tried 2 pool places that sell doughboys and neither one was willing to put one on the hill without retaining walls. I guess because only one side is buried? Maybe DB's need to be inground on both sides? Don't know. I also heard if you bury a a dough boy it voids the warranty? No? No idea. I feel much better with the Radiant since its designed for hills :) Plus I think it's much more aesthetically pleasing

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and we have a couple post hole diggers. They help... A little. We initially rented an auger and it got caught up on rocks and was essentially worthless. It ended up going faster digging by hand

When I was a kid we would jump from the garage roof to the pool :crazy:. That is the first thing I thought of when I got to the bottom couple of pictures.

My stepson mentioned jumping from our garage roof into the pool and I told him that would be the last swim/jump he'd ever do in *this* pool. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is VERY tempting when standing on the deck and looking down into the water to just take a flying leap LOL

I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to take some pictures of what landscaping we have done so far. Like I said though, the deck is going to have to wait til next year. We're going to just build a little platform to attach the ladder to this weekend. Hoisting myself over the ledge and doing a very unattractive roll onto the ground is getting kind of old LOL

LOL That visual is awful! :mrgreen: Can't wait to see what you've done so far! I am almost complete with my deck floor. I kinda ran out of deck boards but I love how easy it is to get in and out of the pool now. I especially love that I can take my 1 year old granddaughter in without asking my husband to help me. I was to scared to climb that flimsy ladder and we were hoisting her over the side of the pool to each other. Now I just walk down the steps into the pool. It's great!

It is VERY tempting when standing on the deck and looking down into the water to just take a flying leap LOL

I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to take some pictures of what landscaping we have done so far. Like I said though, the deck is going to have to wait til next year. We're going to just build a little platform to attach the ladder to this weekend. Hoisting myself over the ledge and doing a very unattractive roll onto the ground is getting kind of old LOL
I am currently buying a radiant pool and would love to see your decking if you have an updated photo! I was thinking of concrete decking on one side but I am worried it will be too permanent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.