Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings,

I have had a Hayward SP-1580 1HP pump for several years and it was time to replace it. Not a big deal. I went to the pool store (ugh) and purchased another SP1580. As you can see in the attached photograph it leaked like crazy at the output to the Sand Filter. I tried multiple hose adaptors including the one from the old pump as well as a new one from Hayward and elsewhere. As with the original pump, tape was used on the adapters and wound clockwise. It never leaked.

Given the multiple adapters the only thing I could figure was that the outlet on the pump had not been milled flat, hence the leak. I bought a second SP-1580 pump from Hayward.

Fired it up tonight and it's leaking worse than the first pump I purchased to replace the original. At this point about all I can come up with is an inert sealant such as GE Silicone-II Tub and Bath or similar product to seal that area. But, is it in fact inert? I don't want to be putting any residual God-knows-what into the water. I've got Grandkids swimming in there.

Any thoughts, input, really appreciated.

Thanks All,

Lyman

Pump_Leak.jpg

Reactions: cowboycasey
This one is 1.5 inch for both and would work perfect.. Make sure the pump is also 1.5 inch.. Mine have been leak free for 9 years now on both my pump, skimmer and pool returns and suction vacuum.. :)

Hi,
I don't think that's going to work with the way the output is connected from the pump output to the Sandfilter. Thoughts?
Best,
Lyman

20210608_101025.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.