New Pump Overheated, Won't Turn On

Aug 24, 2017
Tucson
I had an issue with my old 1081 CT1102 1 HP motor. I wasn't able to fix it, and ultimately ended up replacing it with a new UCT1102, which is just the more eco-friendly version of the one I had. I installed the new pump and turned it on. I kept an eye on it for about ten minutes and everything was running fine, so I let it go. After a few hours I went to check on it and it was no longer running, but I could hear bubbling from within the unit which was emanating heat. I opened the pump housing and flooded it with water from my hose to cool it down. I triple checked and it was set to the same voltage as my old unit and the impeller was spinning without trouble, so I'm not sure what the issue is/was. However, it will now not turn on now at all (manually flipping it from the box). No humming, just nothing, as if it's not getting power. The box is still getting power, however, as the gears are still turning. Any help with next steps would be appreciated. Thanks!

What pump do you have?

Do you still have the old motor? Post pics of the data plates of the new and old motor.

Either the new motor was defective or it was the wrong replacement.

@JamesW thoughts?

Your old motor has a SF of 1.4 and an actual HP of 1.4 HP.

Your new motor has a SF of 1.0 and and actual HP of 1.0 HP.

You can see the difference in the amp draw of the motor 11 on the new vs. 13.6 on the old. It is not that the new motor is more effecient, the new motor is lower HP.

I think the new motor was too small for the impeller and overloaded and overheated.

You need to get a motor where the HPxSF=1.4 or you need to change the impeller for a 1 HP motor.

@JamesW

Last edited:
Yeah, I see that now. I'd been told when I purchased it that it was a direct replacement for the CT1102, but I guess that was incorrect information. Is it just straight up dead now? Any way to fix it, or am I just out the money?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.