New pump - lower pressure in DE filter

May 25, 2016
Richardson, TX
I had a Hayward Quietflo RS single speed 1.5hp pump. I don't know why it was called Quietflo anyway since it was loud. I replaced in with a Sta-Rite SuperMax VS variable speed 1.5 hp pump. I have suction. Pump tuns great. The only thing I notice is that the DE filter has 2 psi less than before. It's at 18 psi instead of 20. Any issues? Is my pool not going to get clean?

With your variable speed pump, the filter pressure will vary with pump speed. Higher pump speed, higher filter pressure. It could be that you are running at a lower speed than your single speed pump, or it could be that the variable speed pump has a lower flow rate than your old pump even at maximum speed. Either way, no need to worry.

Most people prefer to run the variable speed pumps at a low speed, maybe 1500rpm, for much of the day as this will save a lot of money on electrical cost but still keep your pool clean.

With your variable speed pump, the filter pressure will vary with pump speed. Higher pump speed, higher filter pressure. It could be that you are running at a lower speed than your single speed pump, or it could be that the variable speed pump has a lower flow rate than your old pump even at maximum speed. Either way, no need to worry.

Most people prefer to run the variable speed pumps at a low speed, maybe 1500rpm, for much of the day as this will save a lot of money on electrical cost but still keep your pool clean.
Is there any value in my old pump or should I just throw it out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.