New pump issues

Pumps in general do not suck, and need positive pressure to pump, that being a in ground pool pump I would guess 2-3' should be no problem to pump, if at all it would just de rate the gpm a few.

A primed pump should still pump that

I am at a loss then. Pump turns on and runs 1.6 amps and 384 volts. Low amps I assume due to no load from no water flow.

im starting to wonder if this pump is faulty or if the impellar might be loose? ( even though its a brand new unit )

the problem is I fill the strainer basket with water and then turn the pump on in normal run setup, the basket draws down very low but doesnt draw any water in via yhe suction, if turn pump off the discharged water drains back into the strainer. I ran the pump with the discharge disconnexted and it barely flowed out until the strainer was empty?

Try this:
Turn off the pump. Then rig up an adaptor so that you can push water into the skimmer line with a garden hose. Close off all other suction. Water should get pushed into the pump, through the filter and out the returns. Any suction side air leak should be obvious. Make sure that the hose doesn't create excessive pressure in the system if there is a blockage.

+1, carefully your house psi will be around 40-60 psi. Take pump lid off, the flow out the garden hose should be close to the same out the open pump lid, if not check all the internals of your suction side pipes for blockages.

Your pump is working other wise it would not draw the strainer basket down. Lack of amp = lack of flow

It cant be a blockage in the suction, nothing has changed except the new unit, our old unit works fine when hooked up. It draws the basket down but drains back in when off...

my concern is that amazon and online has a few ugly reciews with this cheapee pump

https://www.amazon.com/General-Wire-1-5DF-Drain-Flusher/dp/B0015BE7GQ/ref=pd_sim_86_11?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0015BE7GQ&pd_rd_r=2N215P2GX36Q0G3R0QCG&pd_rd_w=O29sF&pd_rd_wg=0Dh2E&psc=1&refRID=2N215P2GX36Q0G3R0QCG, put something like this on the end of garden hose and put into rear hole of skimmer. Turn on and check to see that your getting water to the pump, if so turn on pump and pull flusher out of skimmer. I'm assuming you have no other suction lines connected so water can only go back to pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A,

Does the pump manufacturer have a technical support line? Call them and walk them through the entire process of what's the problem, what you have done and what results [or lack thereof] you've obtained.

Not sure if the plumping /wiring btw your prior pump and this one is totally different, but if the old pump still works/worked, you could re-install it and see what happens. If you get the same results, then you can safely assume it might be an air-leak you have not discovered. If your older pump cranks-up fine as should, then you know your PVC lines are good and it's prob the pump. Have you made sure that all the settings on the pump are in the correct position?

Finally, what's the return policy of this pump? I would call manufacturer and see if they have not only a tech support line, but someone that they can send out there if you cannot troubleshoot over phone...there's really good people on this board and most problems are identified and solved...

Pls keep us posted and good luck A, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.