New pump and motor installed, but now not being recognized by pool controller

May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
I replaced my Hayward Super II pump (Century motor) with a new single speed Hayward Tristar pump (also 2 HP).

Plumbing seems ok. With the help of this forum I got pipes lined up.

Turned on power at breaker and motor primed nicely, and seems to run ok.

Now the problem:

The breaker also powers my Compool system which is supposed to control turning the pump (and booster...) on and off. After i wired in the new pump- using Line 1, Line 2 and Ground- the Compool no longer controls the pump. I can switch it from Service to Auto and press buttons, but the pump does not respond.

My power has been 220V all along. Could that have to do with how I wired in the new motor? The old motor had a jumper on A. The new pump/motor has sticker saying 'Factory wired for 220', and has terminal posts for Line 1, Line 2 and Ground. A sits empty.

(The reason I got a new pump is because my old motor seemed to have shorted during a recent heavy rain. I bench tested that motor to confirm it indeed had a short. I'm now just hoping that motor short didn't free something on the Compool as well.)

David,

If your new pump is a single speed pump, then for the Compool system to control it, the Pump/Filter relay must be involved.

I assume you just removed the power connections from the old motor and installed them on the new motor. If so, and the pump runs, then I assume the problem is that that the Compool is not shutting the pump off. If this is true, then most likely, the Pump/Filter relay that is supposed to control the pump is bad and shorted shut.

The easiest fix, would be to swap the bad pump/filter relay, with an unused relay or a new relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Was the old motor a two speed motor???

Jim R.

the original motor was single speed, and so is this replacement. I opened the panel to check the relay and take pictures. Poked with my fingers but didn't connect anything and decided will do it tomorrow when more time.

After I closed the panel turning on the power did nothing. Seems like in opening the panel I now lost power to everything. Where can I start figuring out what went wrong?

There is a pump, booster, spa blower hooked up to the system

David,

Well, I'm not sure why opening the panel would cause everything to not work, so that is a puzzle.. :confused:

The first thing to check is to see if the panel is getting power.

Do you have a volt meter?

Does your panel have a display? Is it working?

If the Pump/Filter relay was stuck, just opening the panel may have unstuck it. So maybe your pump is not running because it is not be told to run.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.