New pump and motor consideration. What do you think?

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
I have and old, leaking, tired, what looks like a Home Depot pump and motor. It’s 13 years old and ready for replacement. I am considering the single speed 1.5 hp Pentair SuperMax (Sta-Rite). I am not considering a VS unit due to cost. What do you think? Good choice? Thanks.

Pool logs in Sig File.

Ok, you folks have me thinking about a VS Pump now. A couple of questions. I have a salt pool.

Does the reduced, longer flow make any difference to a SWG? It seems as though I could turn my SWG down to a lower % if the pump is running longer?

At a lower rpm setting on the VS, am I getting reduced water pressure to the filter?

Are the return jets pushing water back to the pool at a reduced rate?

If the turnover rate is alot less, how long do I need to run a VS pump for my size 12000 pool?

Thanks for your comments.

Does the reduced, longer flow make any difference to a SWG? It seems as though I could turn my SWG down to a lower % if the pump is running longer?

AS long as your rpms give enough flow for your SWG flow switch you are good. Typically that is around 1500 rpm.

Yes, you can run your pump longer, at less cost, and lower your SWG % to get the same daily FC output.

At a lower rpm setting on the VS, am I getting reduced water pressure to the filter?

Yes, and the filter works fine at lower flow rates.

Are the return jets pushing water back to the pool at a reduced rate?

Yes.

If the turnover rate is alot less, how long do I need to run a VS pump for my size 12000 pool?

Turnovers are a myth and meaningless.

Reactions: Charlie227

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.