New Pump and Filter - Pressure 20psi

Smithjoe115

In The Industry
Apr 13, 2019
Cyprus
Hi

I have just replaced our Pool Pump and Sand Filter, but i think the Pressure is a little high and wanted to know if this is something i need to worry about?

When the system is running the pressure is around 18psi and if i sent it through the heat pump it is then 20psi. This is just below the red on the dial.

Is this ok, or do i need to worry?

My old pump was 1.1Hp the new one is 1.5Hp, but we also fitted a new sand filter.

Thanks

Joseph

With a 1.5 HP pump and a sand filter, 20 PSI is not out of the norm. What are the two pump make/models?

The pump = 1.5HP Astral Victoria Plus Silent

The sand filter is also Astral 600mm wide i think,

Only reason i am a bit worried - the pressure 20 PSI is just before the Red on the gauge

I have attached a photo of a similar gauge

Attachments

• Astral filter gauge.jpg
    Astral filter gauge.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 11
What was the pressure with the other pump?

Perhaps that gauge was calibrated for that pump with that particular filter?

But in general 20 PSI should not be an issue. The filter should be rated for much higher PSI. Usually 50-60 PSI.

We had a hayward pump - changed for the new pump. then after a few weeks the Hayward sand filter (10 years old) started to leak due to a crack in the side and we replaced it for a new Astral the same size as the hayward. I believe the 1.1hp Hayward pump and filter were around 15psi

The new pump is larger than the old so will generate more pressure. The new sand filter may have more head loss than the old too which makes for even higher pressure. If you had head loss curves for both, you can compare them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.