New pool

Jgw8688

Aug 11, 2021
Smyrna, DE
Hello. I’m happy to have found this informative site. We just had a fiberglass pool with a salt water system installed. As of now, the upkeep seems a little overwhelming but I’m confident we’ll get the hang of it. The process has been stress-free, for the most part. With that being said, the concrete decking was poured this morning and I am so disappointed. Above the beautiful (and expensive) waterline tile there is now a permanent plastic white strip around the entire pool. It’s ugly and takes away from the beauty of the tile. Is there anything I can do i.e paint or replace strip? Concrete guys say no.

Attachments

• 81545250-888F-493E-80A6-256B651DE1D5.jpeg
    81545250-888F-493E-80A6-256B651DE1D5.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the forum.

The white strip is a seal between the coping and the pool structure. They are not tied together as they can move in different ways. Keeps the coping/deck and pool from cracking. You have what is called a Cantilevered Coping.

Whether that strip comes in different colors you would need to investigate. They can also use a different product that is flexible. Talk to the pool builder.

If they didn't use that strip, they would've used a filler like grout or something. It may have been a different color to help conceal the filler, but it could also get old and fall out. Some of my grout is falling out and I'll need to replace it. For what it's worth, I don't think it looks bad at all. You pool looks nice, and I really like the concrete decking.

If they didn't use that strip, they would've used a filler like grout or something. It may have been a different color to help conceal the filler, but it could also get old and fall out. Some of my grout is falling out and I'll need to replace it. For what it's worth, I don't think it looks bad at all. You pool looks nice, and I really like the concrete decking.
Thanks. That was nice of you. I like the concrete too. I just didn’t expect the white strip. I thought I had done my research, but I guess not.

Welcome to the forum.

The white strip is a seal between the coping and the pool structure. They are not tied together as they can move in different ways. Keeps the coping/deck and pool from cracking. You have what is called a Cantilevered Coping.

Whether that strip comes in different colors you would need to investigate. They can also use a different product that is flexible. Talk to the pool builder.
Even if there is a flexible product available I think it may be too late to switch it out. Hopefully anyone who is just starting this whole process will learn from my oversight. Thanks for your reply.