New pool with very loud Jandy stealth shpf .75 e-plus pump

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
Our new pool was just brought online and the water feature pump they installed is a Jandy stealth shot .75 e-plus. That pump is obnoxiously loud. Is that typical of these pumps? Its
loud enough that it drowns out the noise made by my sheer descents. I’m going to discuss this with my builder but wanted some input from the folks here

thanks

Single speed pumps are very loud.

an option may be to use a 3hp VS pump. But it will cost more upfront.

Thanks. I’m going to have a talk with builder. I also noticed the basket on this pump doesn’t completely fill with water. When running there is a huge air bubble at the top. Wondering if there is an air leak and maybe some cavitation causing the noise? Just guessing but shouldn’t there be no air at all in the basket? I’ll take a picture later and post it here

Last edited:
The pump basket should be full. Does the water drain out of it when the pump turns off?

I fired up the pump and took the video below. Also, when I turned the pump off the water did not drain out of the basket. What I’m left with is what is shown in the picture. It’s about a 2 or so inch bubble at the top of the lid. Not sure if this normal. Thanks

Attachments

• FE8BD00C-68EE-4318-9322-A73772B00F08.jpeg
    FE8BD00C-68EE-4318-9322-A73772B00F08.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6
Not what is normally seen, but, if the bubble does not get bigger and there is no air out the returns, it does not sound like you have a suction side leak.

This is the pump that goes to my sheer descents. I can’t tell if there are air bubbles coming out there. That bubble doesn’t get bigger. Stays about the same size and the water doesn’t drain down. I’ll talk to my pool builder. I already know and so does the builder that he has to replace the o-ring on the input to my main filter pump. It has a lot of air bubbles in the basket and I have bubbles coming out of the return jets. This stemmed from when his workers put the pumps in the wrong spot and when they switched them around screwed up or didn’t install the o-rings. So in addition to the o-ring on my main pump he may have to check the o-rings on the water feature pump. Anyways if this pump still ends up being this loud I’m going to tell him we need to come up with a different pump
Btw here is a short vid of my main pump. It’s actually pretty quiet. It’s a Jandy 2.7 vs
thanks

A regular pump is not a good choice for a water feature.

The pump might be cavitating. What size is the suction line?

A waterfall pump would be more appropriate.

A sheer descent has a thin slit that can easily be clogged by debris. The water has to go through a filter.

You can probably get rid of the extra pump and just run the sheers as a return off of the regular returns.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s a 2” supply line. Running it off my main pump doesn’t look to be feasible. I’m going to talk to the builder about replacing it with something else like their waterfall pump. This pump may just be bad too. I don’t know but it’s definitely not quiet and they advertise it as having “quiet technology”

Also, to add, there are 3 sheers (2’-3’-2’) approx 18” above the water. Each has its own 2” supply line coming from the pump each on its own valve. They are about 20’ from the pump. The suction line is 2” and takes in water from two ports that are about 2.5 feet below the surface. I’m wondering if either the Jandy waterfall (wftr120) or water feature pump would work? Or should I just get another 2.7hp vs pump - same pump that is being used for my filter? Going to be talking to Pb tomorrow and want to know what my options are? Thanks

Attachments

• 47C52897-5009-4445-86DD-A436F608E110.jpeg
    47C52897-5009-4445-86DD-A436F608E110.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
A 2" supply line is insufficient for the sheers.

The pump is the wrong type for a water feature.

I would use the regular pump and eliminate the extra pump.

What are the two extra lines by the returns?

What filter do you have?

The sheers require about 70 gpm. 2" suction should be limited to about 63 gpm. So, it's a little bit undersized for the application. The waterfall pump might work. The water should be filtered to prevent the slit from getting clogged. Why can't you use the return from the regular returns?

So how would I modify the plumbing to use the main pump? Currently I have separate return lines from the pool going to that single speed pump. Would I cap that off and install a separate valve tapped off the output of the filter before the SWG going over to those 3 lines going to the sheers?

I would take the suction and tie it into the main suction and put all returns after the salt cell.

When you want to use the sheers, close the regular returns and open just the sheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.