Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Ok, I got my fancy new TF-100 kit, and I ran all of my tests! So far, the only thing I've put in my pool since I filled it up last week was 2.5 bags of salt, and I've been running the SWG for about 9 hours a day. (Pool store guy says 1 hour per 10 degrees outside. Is this accurate?)

Test results:
(From the K-1000)
Chlorine 0.5
pH 8.2
Bromide 1

Also:
FC 2
pH 8.2
CC 0.5
TC 2.5
TA 190
CYA 0

The products I've purchased are Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer granules, GLB pH Down, ProTeam Supreme Plus (borates). I also have PhosFight, but in my research on TFP, it seems I don't need that, and I'll return it.

I'm guessing I do the following:

1. Predissolve the borates, and add them to the water and let that circulate. (and next time read the pool school section before walking into the pool store and saying, "Just give me whatever I need because apparently I'm made of money.")
2. Add 11oz of the pH Down and let it circulate for 6-8 hours. (If I'm using the Pool Math app correctly)
3. Put 22oz or 1lb 6oz of stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of the return since I don't have a skimmer. Squeeze after 24 hrs to help it along.

Does this seem like a good start? Or am I way off base? All input is greatly appreciated!

Andrea

PS Is it ok to be in the pool when we add all this stuff?

Do not add borates. Your TA must be far lower than you have it to add borates. And you really need some time managing your pool water chemistry prior to adding borates.

Add 60 ppm of CYA. Use the sock method.
Follow the FC/CYA Levels. The 1 hour per 10 degree thing is a joke. You need the SWCG to create the chlorine you need to replace the FC lost each day.

Adjust pH to 7.4. pH Down is Sodium bisulfate. It is not recommeneded to use that with a SWCG, but in your case, as you will drain the pool at the end of the season, you should be OK.

Thank you. I didn’t really plan on draining it. Is there a reason I should? So if I don’t drain it, then what do I use in place of pH Down?

Rookie move!! I put water in the pool 6 days ago, and I had the pump running regularly, but I NEVER TURNED ON THE SWG!! And I never added chlorine! How is my pool not a green swamp, and how do I have a chlorine level of 0.5?

I bought the muriatic acid and will be adding tomorrow.

And, after some TFP research on extension cords, it turns out that I'm doing that all wrong, too. So, we have an electrician coming out tomorrow to make it all right.

My $400 Costco pool is taking me down a very expensive rabbit hoooooooooooole. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.