New pool - Vinyl smell

TriKG

Oct 4, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Hi all. My new endless pool was ready for our first swim on Christmas. :) The chemicals are balanced and everything seems to be working just fine. There is a plastic-y smell/taste, which I assume is due to the newness of our setup. Can anyone confirm that is normal? I'm hoping is dissipates with time/use. The pool is outdoor and covered when not in use. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Did you happen to purge the lines before you used it? I have not seen many of these so bear with me.........they are like a fiberglass pool/spa??? It comes all set up??? I know in stand alone spas you need to purge the lines as there is water left in the line from the testing at the factory. That equals some nasty water over time.

I would leave the top open over night to see if that helps off gas some of the smell.

So when you say the water is balanced I do need to ask how you are testing the water? That could be very interesting info right there.

Kim:kim:

Not sure exactly what you mean by purging the lines. It is not like a spa (all set up). It came in a couple crates that were assembled by a trained installer. It's not been open to the air much since it was filled (maybe 30 minutes per day over the last week), so your suggestion to keep it open for a while might be what we need to do to get rid of the smell.
As for balancing the water, I'm using the K-1005 kit provided by Endless and have followed their instructions to balance the water chemistry. Everything (chlorine, TA, Ph, etc.) is in the recommended range. I'm still testing daily to ensure nothing goes wonky.

Okay so they had to add piping and all of the good stuff when it got there. So if that is the case then you are good without purging.

I think I would open it up and let it air out good to see if that helps with the smell.

Lets have a chat about long term care of your pool. Here is a link for our science based method for pool care: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool The suggest levels may be different than what your pool materials say. Let me know how close they come to each other.

Hi! I have an Endless Pool as well - the plastic cover smell did go away after a short time, also mine is outdoors so that helps. I did find I need to use a lubricant to keep the cover moving on the tracks when it got harder to pull closed. I am now looking into how to clean the undeerside.

Reactions: TriKG
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.