New Pool, Very Bad Problems PICTURES

Meowloud

Bronze Supporter
Mar 3, 2017
Chattanooga, tn
New in-ground pool installed, our Hayward Tristar VS pump from Inyopools.com has never kept its prime, sometimes it primes 3-4 times a day. OK, at least it is less energy than the pool installer's single superpump that ran for 43 days. Yes something is wrong and I don't know what to do... The water level is fine, I can hear what sounds like particulate or air in the lines while suction side cleaning.... OK so here is my other problem, maybe a loss of suction on a new pool plumbing(?????) might have tree pollen?? The pool has been pristine, I made sure of it thanks to my TFP. Then THIS happens. Not eating up chlorine.... backwashing every DAY for the past 3 days, which is ridiculous.
Two Problems, new VS pump won't keep prime (second in my book); Fine poolwater, with excellent stats for weeks/months has turned greenish-aqua. It is not slick on the liner. Stats:
pH: 7.8
CYA: 40
FC: 5
CC: 0
TA: 120
and 125 Calcium.

I like to keep it at 7.6 pH, CYA 50, FC 6, and TA 100. But with this color ****, I spend at LEAST an hour a day sucking this yellow stuff up. I've given up!!!!! I've got a house/farm to run! Pictures:pool1A.jpgelkpool1.jpgelkpool3.jpg

Meow,

Sorry to hear about your problems. On your pump priming problem I've run into this before. Always turned out to be the suction cleaner hose blocking the skimmer. It gets "sucked" up against the box and when the pool level is just right it starves the skimmer box and creates a vortex which sucks in air and causes cavitation. When the pump cavitates it stops pumping and the hose isn't held in place so it floats away until it randomly gets close again and the process repeats. Solve it by raising the water slightly or adding a plastic wire bumper (needs to be thin so water can flow around it) so the hose can get sucked up tight to the skimmer box. Other cause could be a slow air leak most likely from the strainer housing top. Remove it inspect/replace or lubricate it with silicone pool lube... use sparingly or you'll clog up your sand filter with it. Could also be any connection or housing on the suction line that's open to the air. To test all of these if you don't see anything obvious put a water stream with a hose on them one at a time and see if you notice any improvement. If one stops or reduces the pump noise it's leaking in air.

Your color sure looks like algae to me. I'd try a SLAM before you do anything else and run the pump at max speed 24/7. If it's algae (sure looks like it to me) you'll clear it up quick. Could be you're running the new VS pump too slow or not enough time?

43 days on the other pump? What caused this?

I hope this helps.

Chris

Problem #1:
43 days of the builder pump was because of problems on the PB's scheduling side (and because of the monumental stupidity endured this build).
Thank you Chris, for referring the pool lubricate! That is a fantastic idea! I run the pump 24/7. Anywhere from speed 1 to 3. For 95% of that time it is on Speed 2 at 1750 RPM (223 WATTS). It has leaked air since installation (still trying to figure that one out, not in a hurry). My first idea was to buy new o-rings, etc.

Problem #2: (Most important to me)
It isn't slick, it is more like a powder, it settles as if something has been dumped/fallen into it, have no CC's, and it is yellow. It only started a few weeks ago when it rained. Also, a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge was in the filter basket for 2 weeks (every time we would turn off the filter, it would disappear into the pipe. Took a bit of finagling to get that bugger). Fox had cleaned itself off in the pool as well.

Thank you for your time and attention!!!

Yes water trucked in on initial fill. My pH does drift up.
*Edit I use diluted 31% muriatic acid to lower the pH. Also, my returns are close to the skimmer :???:
*Edit to my Edit: trucked in water was:
pH: 7.5
CYA: 40
FC: 0
TA: 130
and 175 Calcium

It was from our spring resort we have down the way.

Probably mustard algae, which doesn't always use a lot of chlorine. A SLAM followed by a 15% fc/cya level for a week should work.

If you have iron, a SLAM can oxidize all of the iron and create staining.

As an alternative to a SLAM, to reduce the risk of iron stains, you can add sequestrant and increase the fc/cya to about 25 % for a week and then 15% for a week and then 10% thereafter.

If the pump isn't working correctly, the builder should fix it.

I SLAMmed July 8 - 15th. I was only at .05 CC. I SLAMed again a few weeks ago, frankly because, I'm a bit OCD and wanted to start with a 'fresh beginning'. Have been CC:0 and no reason for algae to grow. Clean EVERYTHING, around lights, take ladder out, take fountain out. I'm the cleanliest of clean.
I take (2) hours EVERY day at the end of this week to scrub, fill, backwash, rinse. It was so nice to have a pool, but as of now, it is a NIGHTMARE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I wish I could have got Jackie's Pools. I had to go with a Cleveland, TN builder. I've expressed my problems but I keep getting blown off. No surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

Does mustard algae show up on CC? I assume it does.

James knows way more about mustard algae than me -- James, would an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test help identify MA adequately?

Also, have you added ANY well water at all?

And do you get pollen staining anywhere in the area?

If you're confident the water is still iron free, I would slam again per James instructions but do the MA finishing treatment. If you think there's any chance metals are interfering and causing part of the tint, then I lie his second option.

In general, getting from blue to "eew" can happen if there isn't adequate filtering or if something is off on the FC routine. But normally, if it were metals, I'd expect the green to be clear, whereas your is cloudy.

To check a little more closely, have you tried to capture some of the stuff on the floor and smear it on a paper towel? Report back on that and the OCLT.

Problem #1:
43 days of the builder pump was because of problems on the PB's scheduling side (and because of the monumental stupidity endured this build).
Thank you Chris, for referring the pool lubricate! That is a fantastic idea! I run the pump 24/7. Anywhere from speed 1 to 3. For 95% of that time it is on Speed 2 at 1750 RPM (223 WATTS). It has leaked air since installation (still trying to figure that one out, not in a hurry). My first idea was to buy new o-rings, etc.

Problem #2: (Most important to me)
It isn't slick, it is more like a powder, it settles as if something has been dumped/fallen into it, have no CC's, and it is yellow. It only started a few weeks ago when it rained. Also, a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge was in the filter basket for 2 weeks (every time we would turn off the filter, it would disappear into the pipe. Took a bit of finagling to get that bugger). Fox had cleaned itself off in the pool as well.

Thank you for your time and attention!!!

Meow,

I know this must be very frustrating and I'm very happy I could help in some small way. The thing that keeps standing out to me is that your problems seem to have started when you replaced the pump. I can't imaging the ordeal with the builder that required this after 43 days! But I know running at 1750 a pump puts out waaaaay less than half the volume. You could be running around 55 gpm instead of 140+. 55 gpm just doesn't seem like it's enough for this size pool. I haven't been able to find the pump curve for your model but if I'm on the right track a slam and running at full speed may get you back to a clear pool... once you get the pool in shape you can begin backing off on speed for some of the time to optimize electric consumption.

Have a blast at the eclipse party. We're down here in 80% territory but we'll be watching it!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL WHO ANSWERED! Decided to start with the most obvious problem you stated (mustard algae). Started the Mustard SLAM and you guys were right! (Of course!!)

Stats:
pH: 7.6
FC: 32 - 33
TA: 110
CYA: 50
OCLT: Failed, (2) 8.25% gallons lost within 8hrs

Had to rush the start and forgot to lower pH. Had to lower after initial start. I hope I read the correct chart on mustard SLAM with my CYA. It had risen a bit because I had to add tablets first day (they were removed as soon as I got home) to at least have chlorine going. My poor 73 yr old mother ended up sick with what we thought was allergies and actually had pneumonia! EEK!

Other than that, am I doing OK with these numbers? Scrubbing and will remove lights, equipment to clean but that will have to be tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Pictures of progress:
slam1.jpgslam2.jpg
Edit: Thank you Chris, have been running at full speed ahead! Looked up my pump's curve and will back down after all this mess is over!

Thank you for the well wishes for my mother, Dom! Another round of x-rays today.
I, unfortunately, hurriedly read the mustard slam and assumed if it's good to have high FC for 24 hrs, it'll be good for the entire SLAM. Doh!
Letting the FC drift down but didn't lose any FC last night from dusk til dawn. Will post a pic later, but it is CRYSTAL clear. Hasn't been this clear since initial fill-up! This must have been going on for awhile. When things are gradual, you don't notice as much (like that time from Thanksgiving through New Year's... that 5 lbs that gradually creep up on you and then you realize it is bathing suit season coming!) There were days that the builder was doing concrete or grading and I physically couldn't reach the pool to add chemicals. But all is going good now thanks to TFP!

UPDATE:
pH: 7.5
FC: 20
CYA: 50
TA: 100 (dropped 10 from adjusting pH, will have to watch this accordingly)

QUESTIONS:

1. I read it is safe to swim in this FC 20 slam range, but I assume it is a no-no at the mustard slam range?
2. I may not have time to remove light and ladder tonight. Keep at regular slam and THEN mustard slam tomorrow for 24 hrs after these two items are cleaned? Everything else has been laundered, removed, and/or cleaned. (It's amazing what I found in the pool alarm and even the frog log after being in the 27 - 32 FC range this week!!)
3. I'm sure I took a little life outta the liner, but how rough is this mustard slam on a new liner? Guesstimate?
slam3.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.